DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coconut & chocolate cheesecake

Chocolate mousse (do this first -- needs at least 4 hours in the fridge):
150g dark chocolate
350g whipping cream
1 tbsp. coconut essence (or coconut liquor)
Place whipping cream in a saucepan and warm it up (but do not boil). Take off the heat and add chocolate broken into little pieces. Stir well until you get a nice, smooth chocolate mixture.
Add coconut essence or liquor. Set aside to cool down and put in the fridge.
When the mixture is firmly set, whisk the cream for couple of minutes to thicken.

Chocolate base:
200g ground almonds
20g cocoa
3 tbsp powdered xylitol
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp. coconut oil (melted)
2 eggs
Preheat oven to 180 C and line a tin with baking paper
Mix all dry ingredients. Slightly beat the eggs with a fork and add to the dry ingredients together with melted coconut oil. Mix well and put in a fridge for 30 minutes. Press evenly into the tin and bake for about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool down a bit.

Cheesecake:
250g cream cheese
250g mascarpone
3 eggs
3 tbsp ground almonds
125ml whipping cream
125ml coconut cream
150g powdered xylitol (or any other sweetener of your choice)
50g desiccated coconut
1 tbsp. coconut essence (or coconut liquor)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 160C and place a big tray with boiling water at the bottom of the oven.
Place all ingredients for the cheesecake layer in a large bowl and blend/whisk for couple of minutes (not too long so the mixture won’t get too airy).
Pour the mixture on the chocolate base and place on a shelf above tray with hot water. Bake for about 60 minutes. It should look set and firm (baking time depends on your oven and can be a bit longer). Set aside to cool, and refrigerate.
Spread the mouse on top of cheese layer and put the cake in the fridge for couple of hours. Decorate with desiccated coconut.

Reactions: 11 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't find where I got this from but if it was posted on here previously then the credit should go to that poster

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DeejayR How do you find the xilitol in terms of after taste? This is one I haven't tried yet - I've spent so much on various sweeteners and hated em all so far. In fact I made a peanut butter mug cake from a recipe I found on here recently - and used some 'stevia triple zero' stuff I'd bought. I didn't like the taste at all but I ate it anyway (because I'm a pig or a cheapskate? - you choose!), but unfortunately a couple of hours later I was physically ill, so that's gone in the bin!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you find the xilitol in terms of after taste?
I'm not very sensitive to after-taste although I can't stand canderel and don't much like diet coke. Xylitol doesn't seem to have any lingering taste. It dissolves in the mouth like neat glucose, if you ever had glucose tablets back in the day.
It's deadly poisonous to dogs but in Finland they give children xylitol sweets to keep their teeth healthy.

Reactions: 2 people