Coconut flour??

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I miss cake and cheesey biscuits how does coconut flour and stevia turn out in cakes and would the coconut flour work in a cheesey biscuit??

Last edited:

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Hi Terryrhino,

I'm just getting back into baking and have been experimenting with making crackers. So far I've made some with garlic and rosemary (excellent!) cheese (a bit soggy, but very tasty - combo of almond and coconut flour - would make a fantastic pizza base), and seed ones (almond flour, psyllium husks - wonderfully crunchy after baking but went soft in a day - still delicious though).

I managed to find all the ingredients in health food shops/larger supermarkets and want to have a go at making low-carb bread next.

Even before I was diabetic I did make a chocolate tart with a base made from ground coconut and almond flour.

What I miss the most since being diagnosed is cake! I want to make something like a lemon drizzle cake using almond flour, but I've heard that stevia can make cakes taste bitter. If anyone has any suggestions re cake making, please post!

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Turns out I really don't like the flavour of coconut flour so the cheesey biscuits are now in the bin yuk I will try almond flour next I think that will less natural flavour

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Oh, that's a shame. It does taste a little strange (and I like coconut generally) but I seem to have got used to it.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could try soy flour too.

Oh, that's a shame. It does taste a little strange (and I like coconut generally) but I seem to have got used to it.

I will continue to try as much as I can until I find the right thing but I can see nothing being as nice as good old self raising flour but needs must on the plus side I've had 50g of brown pasta today and went from BG 5.0 to 6.2 that was pleasing

Reactions: Prem51

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cheesy biscuits - heat a non stick frying pan, pop in LITTLE piles of grated hard cheese (warning - they SPREAD), let them sizzle and start to turn golden. Take out of pan, leave to cool, et voila. Cheesy nibble, anyone?

Also works in the oven, I gather, but I haven't ever tried that.

No flour required. Just cheese. Mmmmmmm cheese. Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeese.

Oi @Terryrhino you're at it again with the cheese temptation - I've eaten kilos of the stuff over the last few days and it all started with you talking about Stilton....!

;)

Last edited:

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheesy biscuits - heat a non stick frying pan, pop in LITTLE piles of grated hard cheese (warning - they SPREAD), let them sizzle and start to turn golden. Take out of pan, leave to cool, et voila. Cheesy nibble, anyone?

Also works in the oven, I gather, but I haven't ever tried that.

No flour required. Just cheese. Mmmmmmm cheese. Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeese.

Oi @Terryrhino you're at it again with the cheese temptation - I've eaten kilos if the stuff over the last few days and it all started with you talking about Stilton....!

;)

Oops sorry @Snapsy
I've tried the melting cheese tho very nice with a pinch of Cayenne pepper

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Terryrhino,

I'm just getting back into baking and have been experimenting with making crackers. So far I've made some with garlic and rosemary (excellent!) cheese (a bit soggy, but very tasty - combo of almond and coconut flour - would make a fantastic pizza base), and seed ones (almond flour, psyllium husks - wonderfully crunchy after baking but went soft in a day - still delicious though).

I managed to find all the ingredients in health food shops/larger supermarkets and want to have a go at making low-carb bread next.

Even before I was diabetic I did make a chocolate tart with a base made from ground coconut and almond flour.

What I miss the most since being diagnosed is cake! I want to make something like a lemon drizzle cake using almond flour, but I've heard that stevia can make cakes taste bitter. If anyone has any suggestions re cake making, please post!
A mixture of erythritol and stevia is very good. They tend to cancel out each others aftertastes. This can be bought already mixed together. I wouldn't know any brands in the UK though. Maybe someone else does.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss cake and cheesey biscuits how does coconut flour and stevia turn out in cakes and would the coconut flour work in a cheesey biscuit??
I think stevia would be alright in cakes you have to try it. Can't say if coconut flour would work in your cheesy biscuits because I can't stand the taste of anything made with almond or coconut flour . I have Nairn oat cakes with cheese and they are really nice and not to high in carbs and quite a few here have those

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
When I was transitioning from high carb to LCHF, my lovely wife would make rock cakes and scones using Mary Berry's recipes, we would use half white / brown flour and xylitol. The xylitol we would use about two thirds of the sugar ingredient. 2 of these would raise my blood sugar by no more the 1 mmol; now that I am LCHF adjusted the need for such food has gone. We use the same 50 / 50 white and brown flour for my circa 4 times a year home made pies.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Thanks for the suggestions re stevia. I've just had a look at the Truvia in my larder and that is a mix of stevia and erythritol, so I'll have a go with that. I may also try the 50/50 mix of sugar/Truvia.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not a fan of coconut flour either. Tend to use almond flour instead.