Coconut flour

Grazer

spinningwoman said:
I've just tried the carbalose in my usual Yorkshire recipe and they didn't rise very much but with gravy would probably be ok. It doesn't seem to be very low in carbs though, just lower

I've used carbalose a lot. They list the carbs somewhat strangely a bit like the american way, but overall it is supposed to be 80% lower in carbs. certainly is very good for my Bgs.
Cooking with it, I find I get MUCH better results if I mix about 80% carbalose with 20% normal flour. Raises the carbs a bit, but not much. Improves the flavour and consistency too.
You also have to use a little more water and ideally cook at a slightly lower temperature for longer.
Finally, if you do something like a pizza base with it, you have to use twice as much yeast. So with yorkies you probably have to use a rising agent.
Experimenting, I get quite good results now.

spinningwoman

Yes,I looked again and it was lower than I thought -it quoted the carbs by 'serving size' but the 'serving' was actually 100gm, not an individual serving which confused me.

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like a daft question but is coconut flour the same as coconut powder.
Have seen some powder on sale as I live in Reading which is very multi-cultured and wondered if it is the same.

mau

Hi Tree-peony

i just tried your muffin recipe and they are really nice, even my wife who is ND likes them! They will be one of my snacking foods from now on

although i do think i bought the wrong coconut flour as it doesnt seem as fine or powdery as people have described, and a bit lumpy. It was called coconut powder on the packet, bought from an asian supermarket

tree-peony

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away for 2 months.
The coconut flour most of us use is from health food shops and is defatted, hence fairly light. Hope this helps!