Cod liver oil supplements.

JRT

I have been taking 1000mg cod liver oil supplement daily for years and found very beneficial. Usually get from supermarket but out of stock. Looked online but noticed not recommended for diabetics. Anyone know why? Thankyou.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When ever I tried them I get some pretty awful nosebleeds...
They are a well known side effect but no idea if it is related to diabeties.
Needless to say, I won't be trying them again.
Glad they work for you.

Reactions: JRT

JRT

Thankyou,yes I did see something about them thinning blood. May hold off for a while until certain!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Cod Liver oil is a pretty concentrated form of vitamin A. And while vitamin A can be really good for you, it is also a vitamin you can get too much of. Short term fine, long term not. Excessive amounts of Vitamin A is especially bad if you are pregnant, have bone issues and a few various things. (Beta Carotene has not the same warnings)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what the WebMD website says about cod liver oil

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1040/cod-liver-oil

When taken appropriately, the list of conditions that it helps is quite impressive.

This is the section about Diabetes

Diabetes: There has been some concern that cod liver oil or other fish oils might increase blood sugar in people with diabetes. But there is no strong research that supports this concern. High blood pressure: Cod liver oil can lower blood pressure and might cause blood pressure to go too low if used along with medications for high blood pressure. Be careful when using cod liver oil if you are taking high blood pressure drugs.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Just a little more information for you as while pregnancy might not be an issue for you, bone health might be.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/vitamin-a-and-your-bones

"In Norway and Sweden, the study found, people who consumed more than 5,000 IU (1,500 mcg) of vitamin A per day were twice as likely to fracture their hips as people who took in less than 1,666 IU (500 mcg) a day. In fact, a Swedish man is about two times more likely to fracture a hip than is an English woman."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_liver_oil

A tablespoon (13.6 g) of cod liver oil contains 136% of the UL for preformed vitamin A (retinol).[13][14] Vitamin A accumulates in the liver, and can reach harmful levels sufficient to cause hypervitaminosis A.[7]

According to the United States Department of Agriculture, a tablespoon (13.6 grams or 14.8 mL) of cod liver oil contains 4,080 μg of retinol (vitamin A) The Dietary Reference Intake of vitamin A is 900 μg per day for adult men and 700 μg per day for women, The Tolerable upper intake levels (ULs) are 3000 μg/day.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I was recommended cod liver oil by a GP many years ago. The only problem I've had with it is that occasionally I've carried on bleeding after my annual HbA1c and very rarely at other times. It's such a long time ago but I think my GP recommended it because strokes and thrombosis run in my family.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When a child my Mother had a huge bottle of Cod Liver Oil and in my view an equally huge spoon to force feed me with I have not touched the stuff since.:)