MagicFirefly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dangerous drivers
Marmite
I know this may have been discussed before but since there appears to be no medical research on links to codeine and low blood sugar I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I had elective surgery 2 days ago on my shoulder. My job keeps me. Active and on my feet for 12.5hrs a day so I was fully expecting higher readings tillI got my basal rate right si ce I will be off work for up to 12weeks. Instead I've been suffering with a few hypos, the last was masked by the side effects of the codeine (similar feeling to a hypo) I'm currently on 60mg ×4 daily (and well needed as I am still very sore).
I can reduce my basal rate az I am a pump user. However, this is not the first time I've suspected codeine to be the cause of lower bm's.

Anyone else experienced this?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've only had codeine once and that was after breaking my wrist. I'd already taken paracetamol, so the hospital gave me codeine and I took cocodamol later in the day.

I didn't have hypos, but obviously I was stressed with the fracture (more so as I was away from home at the time), so my BG was more likely to rise.

Any time I have paracetamol, my BG rises, so it could be that the effects of the paracetamol counteracted the effects of the codeine.

Maybe others have had different experiences.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on 32 mg codeine after my recent operation and didn't notice much of a change to my sugars. I don't think it has a great effect but may be wrong.