1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Codiene

Discussion in 'Type 2 with Insulin' started by Teatime, May 14, 2019.

1. Teatime

Teatime Type 2 · Active Member

Just been given codiene as I’m not very well will this spike my sugars only one it 3 times aday

2. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There is a thread on our site already with lots of information: Type 1 Naproxen and Codeine
    If you're still worried, then contact your diabetic nurse or doctor.

3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Teatime, I'm certainly not asking why you have been prescribed it, but if it helps you, and you'll only be on it a short while, for something transient, I might look on it as a tool to getting better and if my bloods went up, I'd call that a short term inconvenience.

If it raised my bloods a lot, and I had to be on it a long time, I might have a chat to see if there were credible alternatives, but they could potentially raise the numbers too.

You'll have to see what it does for and to you. Presumably, you have test kit?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Teatime

I’ve been given as a short term thing got a bad cough can’t rid and she gave it me will see how much it spikes my blood

5. Teatime

I’m type 2 going to keep my eye on my numbers don’t think I’ll be taking it long

• Hug Hug x 1
  6. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I've been on codydramol during the day and codeine at night for years. This prepdates my diabetes diagnosis, but I don't often take the daytime doses and haven't noticed any difference in my test results when I need to take the full amount.
    The only issue I had was going lowcarb and still managing to eat enough fibre to counteract the constipation codeine causes me.

7. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yep. Constipation is something to be beware off.
    Codeine is prescribed for diarrhoea which may give a hint.

8. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I've had long periods of being on and off codeine since being diagnosed with Type 2 and haven't noticed any difference in BG levels because of taking it. I've been back on it for cough suppression for about a year now and again, no difference in BG.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook