Coeliac diagnosis in children

Nicky_and_Ben

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello There,

I am new to this forum and have a child who was diagnosed T1D last July. He and we are coping ok, but I have become worried that he may also have coeliacs. He has been having diarrhoea and tummy cramps for about 2 weeks now. We have seen the GP but have had no results as yet from the stool sample. We haven't had a blood test yet as we have had to book one in a special clinic at the hospital which involves us both taking time off work/school. I was told by the diabetic nurse that he would have tested negative for coeliacs last July on diagnosis, and not to worry. I know there are viruses around but am worried as this seems to have gone on a long time. Should I limit gluten in his diet until we can get confirmation? I was told not to cut it out as the indicators for coeliacs would then come up negative. Just wondered if anyone has been in this position. I feel that continuing to give him gluten may make the time until the blood test very difficult and maybe even lead to damage through inflammation if it turns out he has it. I would be grateful for any advice.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No - do NOT limit gluten. He needs to eat gluten for a coeliac test.

There are a number of Type 1s here with coeliac. I'll add tags for them so they'll see your post @Engineer88 @CarbsRok

How old is he?