Coffee Almond Cakes

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Suddenly had a hankering for a coffee cake. I use a basic base for a cake/muffin.

1 cup ground almonds/almond meal
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
2 tsps gluten free baking powder
3 Tbsp sweetener (xylitol)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
mix together thoroughly

Add 3 large eggs
3 Tbsps oil (like macadamia, coconut or olive or melted butter)
(1 tsp vanilla essence ) not needed for the coffee cake version
3 heaped tspns instant coffee disolved in hot water and cooled a little

MIx together well

Spoon into greased microwaveable muffin pans and cook on high for 2 mins, doubles in size. Turn out and cool and top with mascarpone icing.

I know it can be cooked in a standard oven but I am too impatient for that.

I make a carrot cake and plain vanilla muffins with this basic mix (without the coffee of course). Then there are the raspberry or mulberry or bluberry muffins. Choose what you want it to be.

I even use the base recipe for a low carb trifle with sugarless jelly, berries and a divine mascarpone custard.
Alison

lesleyc

Hi clear views, Lesley of pumpkin pie fame again! Could you share your divine marscapone custard recipe please? I fancy making a trifle.

WhitbyJet

Lesley - make up an ordinary custard, using egg yolks, vanilla (see trifle recipe in the low carb recipes thread, I just posted a trifle recipe there the other day) and then stir in mascarpone, it makes the custard much thicker and creamier.
All the best x

Edit: here are step by step instructions on low carb trifle http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/forum/v ... ?f=4&t=772

clearviews

Dislikes
Mmmmm. My custard is uncooked and quite simple.
Beat 250gm mascarpone cheese together with 1 cap vanilla essence, 2 egg yolks, 2 Tbsp xylitol. Fold through 2 egg whites which have been beaten until stiff. Can add some brandy if wanted. I find it is simply delicious without!

clearviews

Dislikes
Hi lesleyc

I did lose weight while eating these yummy things. I increased fat purposely as I believe I need more to fuel my body when my carbs are very low. The proof for me is that I don't gain weight with more fat and my cholesterol figures improved as well. I know that I am not an anomaly by eating low carb higher fat.
Alison