Coffee With Meals

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was reading an article about the benefits of Tea vs Coffee the other day (rock and roll lifestyle and all that) and one part of it said that drinking coffee with a fatty meal can increase the blood glucose spike (in non diabetics) to almost that of a diabetic person.

Looking back at my records I think a fair few of the random spikes that I can get may be down to having a coffee with my meal (even a non fatty one). I have for a while thought that coffee sometimes seems to spike my levels but never twigged that it was only if I had it with a meal (usually Breakfast of Lunch).

I can't find the article itself but after a bit of time on Google it looks like there is some evidence to back this up:

http://nutritionnibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/coffee-with-breakfast-spikes-blood.html

Just thought this might be useful to someone!

Matt

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
that is really interesting !! thanks for the info !1
as it happens.... I already drink decaf :)

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's really interesting; thanks for sharing.

I can often have exactly the same morning routine of 3 units NovoRapid, shower, carefully measured granola and milk and then some days I will spike like crazy to 8, 9 or 10mmol and other days I cruise steady at 5-6mmol. The only difference is that some days I have coffee with my breakfast and other days I don't. I wonder if that's the answer to why I sometimes spike; I can't say I ever put 2 and 2 together before. I'm going to test it out this week! :)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I drink about 12-14 oz regular coffee every morning and it doesn't raise my BS. I don't eat a meal with it though.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 so I don't know if that makes a difference, but I always have a cappuccino made with my coffee machine, it uses pods so the exact same amount everyday, with my breakfast. I have eaten the same breakfast for the last four or five weeks (have you tried the low carb coconut 'porridge' on Diet Dr? It's delicious!) and my blood sugar only rises at the two hour mark by about 0.5 mmol/l.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As much as I like coffee I couldn't drink it with breakfast, has to be a strong mug of tea every-time.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Will differ in everyone depending on how much coffee they're used to drinking, but: coffee has caffeine in it, caffeine induces an adrenaline response, adrenalin makes the liver release glucose, so a kick up in some people ain't no big surprise.

This has been previously discussed and the general view was that you might be able to mitigate the adrenalin response by slinging a shot of whisky in it and going Irish Coffee! Feel free to experiment!

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. I was served a 3 shot coffee after my meal yesterday. A mistake as that was really too
strong for me.
I drank it anyway and my BS was 5.3 which stayed that way most of the afternoon.
I'm type 2 so maybe that would be make a difference. X

Last edited:

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's so interesting! I have a coffee with my breakfast at work every morning and I do tend to spike a lot, but then again I also seem to spike with other meals.

Having said that, I think I will try a decaf tomorrow to see if it makes a difference at all!