1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Sheffield University are conducting a study on food and activity logging among people with type 2 diabetes. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Coffee With Meals

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by staffsmatt, Aug 29, 2017.

1. staffsmatt

staffsmatt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was reading an article about the benefits of Tea vs Coffee the other day (rock and roll lifestyle and all that) and one part of it said that drinking coffee with a fatty meal can increase the blood glucose spike (in non diabetics) to almost that of a diabetic person.

Looking back at my records I think a fair few of the random spikes that I can get may be down to having a coffee with my meal (even a non fatty one). I have for a while thought that coffee sometimes seems to spike my levels but never twigged that it was only if I had it with a meal (usually Breakfast of Lunch).

I can't find the article itself but after a bit of time on Google it looks like there is some evidence to back this up:

http://nutritionnibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/coffee-with-breakfast-spikes-blood.html

Just thought this might be useful to someone!

Matt

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

that is really interesting !! thanks for the info !1
    as it happens.... I already drink decaf :)

3. pinewood

pinewood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's really interesting; thanks for sharing.

I can often have exactly the same morning routine of 3 units NovoRapid, shower, carefully measured granola and milk and then some days I will spike like crazy to 8, 9 or 10mmol and other days I cruise steady at 5-6mmol. The only difference is that some days I have coffee with my breakfast and other days I don't. I wonder if that's the answer to why I sometimes spike; I can't say I ever put 2 and 2 together before. I'm going to test it out this week! :)

4. TheBigNewt

TheBigNewt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I drink about 12-14 oz regular coffee every morning and it doesn't raise my BS. I don't eat a meal with it though.

5. staffsmatt

staffsmatt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@pinewood yeah that's what I think I was seeing too (it could of course be a massive coincidence!)

@TheBigNewt yeah I seem fine with it without food too....

Matt

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm type 2 so I don't know if that makes a difference, but I always have a cappuccino made with my coffee machine, it uses pods so the exact same amount everyday, with my breakfast. I have eaten the same breakfast for the last four or five weeks (have you tried the low carb coconut 'porridge' on Diet Dr? It's delicious!) and my blood sugar only rises at the two hour mark by about 0.5 mmol/l.

7. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

As much as I like coffee I couldn't drink it with breakfast, has to be a strong mug of tea every-time.

8. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I drink coffee before and with breakfast with no spikes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

You are my HERO!!

10. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you. :D

11. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Will differ in everyone depending on how much coffee they're used to drinking, but: coffee has caffeine in it, caffeine induces an adrenaline response, adrenalin makes the liver release glucose, so a kick up in some people ain't no big surprise.

This has been previously discussed and the general view was that you might be able to mitigate the adrenalin response by slinging a shot of whisky in it and going Irish Coffee! Feel free to experiment!

12. Speedbird

Speedbird Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Interesting. I was served a 3 shot coffee after my meal yesterday. A mistake as that was really too
    strong for me.
    I drank it anyway and my BS was 5.3 which stayed that way most of the afternoon.
    I'm type 2 so maybe that would be make a difference. X

#12 Speedbird, Aug 30, 2017 at 8:24 AM
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  13. Levy

Levy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's so interesting! I have a coffee with my breakfast at work every morning and I do tend to spike a lot, but then again I also seem to spike with other meals.

Having said that, I think I will try a decaf tomorrow to see if it makes a difference at all!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook