Coke and chocolate in vending machines in hospital

Should they serve coke and chocolate in vending machines in hospital?

• Yes

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Not sure / it depends

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I think I would be less horrified about the widespread use of chocolate and crisp vending machines in hospitals (including those at my local otherwise excellent diabetes centre) if they also offered alternate low carb snacks, e.g., nuts, dried seaweed, non sweetened beef jerky, etc.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I would be less horrified about the widespread use of chocolate and crisp vending machines in hospitals (including those at my local otherwise excellent diabetes centre) if they also offered alternate low carb snacks, e.g., nuts, dried seaweed, non sweetened beef jerky, etc.
While I agree totally having talked to my hubby who as part of his work he manages contracts in various settings that have vending machines. That’s about 4 - 5000 machines and those things just don’t sell. At the end of the day the machine has to pay for itself, the staff to maintain and fill it and at least some profit so they are going to be filled with stuff that the general public buy which is sweets, chocolate and crisps.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect the staff make great use of these machines as well. I have a certain amount of sympathy as they work such long stressful hours.