Coke and chocolate in vending machines in hospital

Should they serve coke and chocolate in vending machines in hospital?

• Yes

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Not sure / it depends

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Anxiety, I use that one, so I don't have to go shopping! Lol!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Confusion, that's another one that's goy me out of things,'I thought you said............'

Also amnesia,

Anxiety........ I use that one to get out of shopping!

Braveheart? I thought that was an Australian drunk taking the Michael out of Jesus?

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Don't believe he mentioned Jesus
Confusion, that's another one that's goy me out of things,'I thought you said............'

Also amnesia,

Anxiety........ I use that one to get out of shopping!

Braveheart? I thought that was an Australian drunk taking the Michael out of Jesus?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Pass! That was half an hour ago, and the footies on!

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's more, is that REALLY helping the 'obesity crisis'?
Do people get cancer because they are obese? If not, then why do we need to take away the cancer patient's chocolates?

Simply put, the key difference is responsibility - children are much more susceptible to external influences whereas I feel that adults who want to vote should be able to make an intelligent decision about eating chocolate.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
As to hospital vending machines I suppose it would be better only to have the sugar free drinks in them.

Not if you've seen the evidence stacking up against artificial sweeteners!

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Do people get cancer because they are obese? If not, then why do we need to take away the cancer patient's chocolates?

Simply put, the key difference is responsibility - children are much more susceptible to external influences whereas I feel that adults who want to vote should be able to make an intelligent decision about eating chocolate.

Two things:

1) There is growing evidence to support the thesis that poor diet is linked to certain cancers as well as obesity;
2) Responsibility comes from education and understanding - where certain food manufacturers have pulled the proverbial wool over people's eyes for many decades, can people be blamed for making the wrong choices?

For example, Kellogs have recently introduced a new version of Rice Krispies that's marketed as being a healthy choice because it contains 'wholegrains'. We bought a packet because we wanted the special offer currently being promoted for places like Legoland, etc., but when we tried what's inside we quickly realised that there's probably more nutrition to be had from eating the cardboard box... BUT you have to study the ingredients and nutrional information AND understand what this means to know just how unhealthy the cereal is...

It's not just the individual who is responsible: why is it that Kelloggs do not market their special offers on AllBran and Bran Flakes packets, but only the high-carb, Hi-GI cereals such as Cornflakes, Rice Krispies and Frosties???

My daughters don't buy the cereals (they're 3 years and 6 months old), but if I want to buy something that lowers the cost of entry for a family day out, the bad choice is forced upon me because I cannot choose to buy AllBran if I want the special offer :mad:

Ellie 71

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently visited Addenbrooks hospital with my son (on this occasion neither of us are diabetic, that my daughter) however was very surprised that in the food court was a Burger King!!!!!! Apart from being shocked and surprised as we know this type of tood is not the best for anyone, but in recovery surely loading the system with all that fat and sugar cannot be wise.

clarewilliams

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the hospital I stayed that had a vending machine with chocolate bars only.
Is that very difficult to make healthier vending machines?

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the hospital I stayed that had a vending machine with chocolate bars only.
Is that very difficult to male healthier vending machines?
In the Netherlands it varies a lot, between hospitals. The one in Amersfoort has "healthy" sandwiches and whatnot, which isn't what you'd call healthy for diabetics, but still better than the vending machines in some hospitals over in Tilburg: just sugary bars and crisps. If a vending machine has quality extra dark chocolate though, more power to them, because then I can have that and get my dopamine rush to boot. ;)

By the way, @clarewilliams and @violem, you're both responding to a thread posted in 2014. If you'd like to make a new one on this topic though, go wild. ;)
Hugs,
Jo

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don’t see the problem. Just because you don’t want to buy it doesn’t mean other people can’t . It’s their choice. Just because I’m diabetic I would still buy crisps, coke and chocolate.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Not everyone buying from vending machines is diabetic and just because they are there doesn’t mean you have to buy them its all about choices

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife