Cold and Flu Type 1 tips

TeamBeal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.
My son Carter was diagnosed T1 25/3/16, he has just been taken down by his first cold/flu virus, he's taking a beating. His temp is manageable with sugar free calpol, he has no ketones but his BM's are unusually high for him (from 7-11mmol), he's usually quite stable in the 5's/6's. He's still happy to eat for now so keeping up with his insulin.
Does anyone have any tips on how they manage the symptoms for diabetics? I found some sugar free lozenges but they were loaded with carbs so he couldn't really have those. I've been using Vicks and steam but would love any tips / advice you guys use when you're unwell to hell you feel a bit better.
Thanks all Xx

Greg&Rachel (parents to Carter T1 aged 8)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning!

Sorry to hear that your son is unwell, there's nothing worse than feeling like that.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-t...iabetes/Getting-my-glucose-right/Feeling-ill/

You said the sugar free lozenges were loaded with carbohydrates; are you sure that you read the label correctly as carbohydrates are technically sugar anyhow? i.e. sugar free should have a zero carb content.

Maybe these:

http://www.strepsils.co.uk/products/dry-scratchy-throat/strepsils-strawberry-sugar-free-lozenges/

Other than the sugar free stuff, the same rules apply as to non-diabetics. Fluids, food (if possible), rest and recovery.

Good luck:)

Grant

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @TeamBeal

Sorry your son is ill. I hope the virus doesn't last too long.

For colds and flu, I make sure to drink plenty of sugar- free fluids. I take paracetamol, I use sugar free lozenges if necessary or sugar free Mentholyptus sweets. I also use Vicks and Olbas oil.

I find rest helps a lot. Usually exercise puts my blood sugar down, but when I'm ill I find even light exercise actually puts my blood sugar up. I assume it's the extra stress on the body.

Your son's blood sugars aren't too high at the moment, but do test lots to make sure they don't rise, and never be worried about calling your doctor or DSN for advice if you feel you need it.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm assuming you're aware of the sick day rules? I know @noblehead has a great link just in case you don't.

Hope he feels better soon

TeamBeal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you guys for your replies, sorry I wasn't sound to thank you sooner. I have just redownloaded the app on my new phone.
He was good after only 4 days, back to normal and had. Hba1c done which and back as 5.6mmol a few weeks ago so it doesn't appear to have caused any issues yay!
I will have a look at the SFL's thank you for your advice and links xxx

Reactions: 2 people