Cold/Chest Infection - High BSL

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All,

I have my first 'illness' since getting my libre and it is showing be some interesting results...

I have had a cold/chest infection for about a week and it is throwing my sugars wayyy out of control, far beyond what I would expect for a cold.

My insulin seems to be really struggling. I'm going really high (up to 19) overnight, despite going to bed with sugars in my normal range (5-7). I have suffered from dawn phenomenon recently, and think that that coupled with the illness is really making life hard for me.

I just had lunch about 1.5 hours ago, some soup, bread and an apple. I took 14u of humalog (counting 70g carb on a 1:5 ratio and pre-bolusing by 30 mins) and my sugars have shot from 7 to 19 within 1.5 hours! It's like I haven't taken any insulin at all!!

I had been worried that my basal wasn't really working properly, so I changed my lantus pen yesterday but haven't seen any improvements. I also have increased my lantus by 2u from 40 to 42 to see if that would help, but it hasn't so far.

Does anyone else experience these kinds of sugars when ill?

I normally exercise to help with my BSL, but haven't been able to because I've been feeling so run down. This probably isn't helping matters. I also did the test to check whether my pen was dosing properly (I've seen it on the forum a few times) and it looks like my humalog pen was dosing about 5u short, so I have changed over to a spare.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Emck, yep when ill my BGs go all over the place. I have had a chest infection/cough now for 10-11 weeks. I am on a pump so have been running my basal at a pretty constant 150% mark most of the time just to keep my bloods in check. I also find that when I am high I become VERY insulin resistent.....seems like I am injecting water!!!

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Emck, yep when ill my BGs go all over the place. I have had a chest infection/cough now for 10-11 weeks. I am on a pump so have been running my basal at a pretty constant 150% mark most of the time just to keep my bloods in check. I also find that when I am high I become VERY insulin resistent.....seems like I am injecting water!!!
Yep, the insulin resistance is real!!! I've taken 10u humalog for correction since 3pm and my sugars have only dropped to 12 (with no food intake).

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
I hope you'll get better soon @Emck , i know what's it like. Last year i had a similar problem, it took me weeks to get back to normal.
Hang in there, all the best.

Reactions: Emck

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, had a bad cold January 17 and was wearing a Libre for the first time. I was shocked by the constant rise in levels. I followed sick day rules to the letter. Am on MDI so didn’t move basal but bolused with extra ketone % added on.
We were advised on DAFNE not to alter basal as it takes a couple of days for the adjustment to filter through and then as you recover a tendency to hypo as it takes another couple of days to go back. On an average day I take 20-30 units of insulin in total, it went up to about 45.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Would second @Knikki. Libre is really unreliable outside of general target zones. Double check your meters with a finger test. Don't be afraid of hiking up those basal rates while will and I hope you feel better soon :)

Reactions: Emck

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all!!

I have noticed my meter is just a bit slow, I would say it's probably about 15-30 mins behind what my actual readings are.

@becca59 - it is shocking to see, it just looks like I'm not taking insulin at all post mealtimes! It took me 6 hours to get into range again after lunch yesterday!

I woke with a sugar of 14 today:arghh:, which has now risen to over 16 due to 'feet on the floor! A nice breakfast of insulin and water for me today! Still no ketones however!