Cold dark and insulin needs

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My bs is stupid right now. Very unpredictable. Dosing over 2x as much. Food has not changed. All weighed and measured as usual. I am still very controllled but sticking myself all the time

Does cold and dark effect you by that much? I'm seriously at a loss as to what's going on

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask for some new insulin? Worth checking that your insulin is ok.
Another possibility is that you are coming down with a cold, which could affect your blood sugar temporarily. If you are feeling unwell, keep warm and, if possible, get some extra rest.
Fit and well by Christmas, hopefully! Take care.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask for some new insulin? Worth checking that your insulin is ok.
Another possibility is that you are coming down with a cold, which could affect your blood sugar temporarily. If you are feeling unwell, keep warm and, if possible, get some extra rest.
Fit and well by Christmas, hopefully! Take care.
Thanks but taking extra insulin initially lowers me but then I pop back up so it's working. Just not as efficiently as it was. Honeymoon might be over. Menopause might be worse. Cold weather. Getting plenty of sleep, much more than usual. No illness. This is been around six weeks.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could stress be contributing too? I find even mild worry can sometimes affect my BS, so with the holiday season approaching, could that be contributing too, along with the cold and dark?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Kristin251 , have you done a basal test recently? I note that with this and your other topic that you are seeing some variability that is unexpected. It might be worth going back to basics and seeing what has changed.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely worth doing a Basal test as Tim suggests.

The last week or two my sugars have been all over the place. Ran a couple of basal tests and made a change to morning basal yesterday and was basically flat all day and overnight, average 6.2, deviation +-0.7.

Hope you manage to button it down in time to enjoy xmas.

/A

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Kristin251 , have you done a basal test recently? I note that with this and your other topic that you are seeing some variability that is unexpected. It might be worth going back to basics and seeing what has changed.
Pretty much have the holidays tackled so no more stress than usual.
As far as basal testing. 2 units can raise me 20-30 now where 1!unit kept me perfect. Took 3 units last night. Went to bed at 85. 1:45 am I was 80, 4 am 70 and 8:30 66. I don't like to be that low.
A few nights ago 2 units dropped me from 77 to 56. Too low. The next night 2 units took me from 72 to 91. As I said one unit would normally keep me 85-85. I'm also taking small corrections throughout the day and eating the same food as normal but taking one unit instead of 1/2. There is just no consistency and I feel like I'm stabbing in the dark. I don't like fasting below 70 but I also don't like them over 100 or the whole day is wacky. I know it sounds like too tight of control but it's worked up until now. Can your honeymoon really end overnight? Maybe I have some post menopausal hormones going on. It's just a mystery. Thanks for the help. Not sure what to do. I ponder lantus every night and I am journaling again and nothing is sticking out other than huge amounts more insulin. It does seem that I don't come down after 2 hours but rather continue to rise hence the boluses between meals

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I can't see the answer to this, any more than I can see my way out of my own tight rope walking. The last four days I've had highs which wouldn't resolve much, and I was trying to decide whether it was dodgey insulin or stress. I changed my basal, dumped the old vial. I've had some rotten stress over the last few days, I call it out on my meter, but my meter takes no notice. :). I use much less Bolus now because of LCHF and I'm conscious that I'm making my NovoRapid hang about longer in the fridge. Stabbing in the dark is a good description of an annoying situation.
I hope you can solve yours.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I can't see the answer to this, any more than I can see my way out of my own tight rope walking. The last four days I've had highs which wouldn't resolve much, and I was trying to decide whether it was dodgey insulin or stress. I changed my basal, dumped the old vial. I've had some rotten stress over the last few days, I call it out on my meter, but my meter takes no notice. :). I use much less Bolus now because of LCHF and I'm conscious that I'm making my NovoRapid hang about longer in the fridge. Stabbing in the dark is a good description of an annoying situation.
I hope you can solve yours.

Thanks. Just went through my journal. The 2 nights I took 3 lantus th next day was much more stable though I dropped too low for fasting. Sometimes 2 units raise me too much. The plan last night was to go to bed closer to 100 and take 3 units for the added b nefit during the DP time. OF COURSE this didn't work out as planned. I took 1/2 with dinner vs 1 to try to be higher. Nope. Bed time 78 so 2 units. Fasting was 92 so all good but didn't get the added morning benefit. 1/2 unit 3 times before lunch. I'm sure I'll be stabbing in the dark again tonight. I wish it was as simple as a bad pen but it works sometimes and not the other. I'm finding a routine though. Quite different than a few weeks ago though. 1/2 unit BF, 1/2 unit 1 hour later and 1/2 unit if needed 2 hours later. Too much sticking for my liking but if I want tight control that is my only option. It's much more my fingers than stomach that bothers me.