1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cold remedies

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Flamingo74, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Flamingo74

Flamingo74 · Well-Known Member

I’m T2 500mg Merformin daily. Last HBa1C in October was 37.

I am generally well but have the usual winter cold/sore throat. What are people taking to soothe these symptoms whilst avoiding sugary lozenges and syrupy cough mixtures?

I’m taking paracetamol for the aches and headache.

2. Larissima

Larissima Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For clearing the sinuses and soothing a sore throat I do steam inhalation - basically just breathing over a pot of hot (not boiling) water. I usually add a few drops of Olbas Oil, or some lavender essential oil, or even a bit of Vicks VapoRub.

This autumn I made some "Fire Cider" - garlic, ginger, lemon and chilli peppers steeped in cider vinegar for a couple of weeks - and taking a spoonful of that (diluted in water) at the first sign of a sore throat helped with it not developing further.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Single malt whisky works for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

Gargling warm salt water

5. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Whisky and pickled onions (or so the GP told my Dad).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Energize

Energize Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can't take any cold/flu remedies due to potentially very dangerous interactions with meds I take so I use steam inhalations several times during the day, normal saline nasal drops, drink lots of warm fluids, plenty of fresh air ;)

My worst time is when I get middle ear infections (most times with a simple cold), go very deaf taking 3 months to resolve so even wearing my hearing aids doesn't help, so tend to get rather keen on the steam inhalations.

Oh, and Paracetamol ocassionally. Fortunately, I don't get colds too often, certainly no more than annually ( hope not famous last words ;) )

Hope you feel better very soon

7. bigjim19

bigjim19 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Being honest anything that you would normally take ! to hell with it why feel miserable

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook