Cold snap making me hungry

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi folks
Just wondering,does this cold snap we are having make you feel more hungry than usual?
We had two bottles of red wine between us over the weekend,cheese,meats and crackers,all the stuff I'm not really meant to eat,ok meat and cheese yes but crackers galore.
Today I felt like I could have eaten for England.
Trouble is I feel very guilty.
Find it hard as I've lost 6 stone and get worried I'll put it back on.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It may not be the cold snap. Carbs are addictive and they have been known to promote hunger.
In the winter I crave hot spicy stews and that hasn't changed I just don't have the carbs that normally go with them now and as a consequence I do not overeat.
Don't worry too much, just keep a wary eye out for carb creep. Good luck and well done.

Reactions: blanc71

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food guilt serves no purpose except to make you feel like you've failed, so where's the point in continuing in your endeavour? The truth is, everyone wobbles. And I suspect it was the cold weather as a driver, creating a mood that somewhat enabled the wine and cheese (and hopefully good cheer!).

Food is an incredibly emotional thing; we eat with habits learned in childhood, passed down through generations. In many cases, food = love (on some level, often maternal), and those deep, deep associations can be triggered by almost anything - a song, a memory, a time of year. I could be that you have a particular memory or association between getting cosy and tucked in and a moment of indulgence (actually, I always think of Christmas and cheese and crackers when it's threatening to snow).

Don't beat yourself up. You had a holiday and indulged. All is far from lost and you've achieved so much already - and you'd be astonished at how quickly carbs will regain their grip. You've got, possibly, an uncomfortable couple of days ahead while you rebalance back to your usual way of eating, but it shouldn't be too bad.

You're doing great - everyone wobbles. Guilt won't help you at all <3

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that adding layers of clothing in cold weather is a way to stay comfortable rather than wanting to eat hot food.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My Swedish side coming out here - yes, the cold can make you more hungry for sure. Natural thing for the body to want to eat to keep warmer, is mine, and Swedes'? understanding at any rate.

I have lived in Sweden where a cold snap gets you to - the coldest I personally experienced was minus 35 :cat:
(degrees celsius for the Americans who might be reading). Now that was cold.

I was doing a Very Low Calorie Diet in between four degrees celsius and minus 10 a few years ago, in Sweden, and my Diabetes nurse put my calorie intake up another 200 calories a day so I could be in the great outdoors and lift weights in outdoor parks and walk and just keep alive in the snow and ice :). So yes - there is an idea floating around at least in cold climes, that you need more food to keep warm enough in it.

BTW I myself am in Aotearoa/New Zealand, and we have been having a heat wave, big time. A heat snap, rather than a cold one, it being summer in the southern hemisphere.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Food guilt serves no purpose except to make you feel like you've failed, so where's the point in continuing in your endeavour? The truth is, everyone wobbles. And I suspect it was the cold weather as a driver, creating a mood that somewhat enabled the wine and cheese (and hopefully good cheer!).

Food is an incredibly emotional thing; we eat with habits learned in childhood, passed down through generations. In many cases, food = love (on some level, often maternal), and those deep, deep associations can be triggered by almost anything - a song, a memory, a time of year. I could be that you have a particular memory or association between getting cosy and tucked in and a moment of indulgence (actually, I always think of Christmas and cheese and crackers when it's threatening to snow).

Don't beat yourself up. You had a holiday and indulged. All is far from lost and you've achieved so much already - and you'd be astonished at how quickly carbs will regain their grip. You've got, possibly, an uncomfortable couple of days ahead while you rebalance back to your usual way of eating, but it shouldn't be too bad.

You're doing great - everyone wobbles. Guilt won't help you at all <3
I wobble in two ways:happy:

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It may not be the cold snap. Carbs are addictive and they have been known to promote hunger.
In the winter I crave hot spicy stews and that hasn't changed I just don't have the carbs that normally go with them now and as a consequence I do not overeat.
Don't worry too much, just keep a wary eye out for carb creep. Good luck and well done.
Thanks guzzler

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all guys
Just got to ignore the magnetic evil carb grip,I get comfortable and then want to enter into the "go on treat yourself" world,I've had a stern word with myself,he didn't like it but I gave him no choice,thanks guys.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
"Go on - treat yourself!"

I bought myself flowers instead of fluffy coffee and cake!
I go for a plant, it lasts longer especially if it's for the garden. The problem is "instant gratification" and your not always near a garden centre.

Reactions: shelley262

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem is frozen ground in February and me utterly untouched by any gardening ability at all!

BUT! You're right, too - non-food treats are far more meaningful, and I can imagine it would be really, really awesome to walk around a garden planted with souvenirs of when various milestones were achieved (The ironic fruit tree for remission!).