Cold work environment

Quiggles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I recently accepted a position at work that requires me to spend time in a cooler stocking dairy products and one that is for frozen food which is kept at a -10 degrees. The cooler is kept below 41 degrees. I can wear gloves but I am still concerned about if it is safe for me with being a type 2 diabetic.
Should I've concerned about this?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the only problem is your meter won't work when it gets too cold. The solution is to keep it close to your body, especially is you're on medication that can cause hypo's. If you're on insulin, don't take it with you where it can freeze.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Quiggles ,

Providing your employer is providing the adequate PPE for the for the assessed potential work environment hazards? There should be no issue..

What medication are you prescribed?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, and if you suffer from neuropathy with loss of feeling it might be wise to have a talk with your DN/GP. I'm not sure what would happen when your feet get too cold without you noticing. I guess it is possible to get frostbite, but I'm not sure as I don't know much about neuropathy.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe you should be provided with insulated clothing suitable for the environment in which you are working, and be free to leave the freezer if you begin to feel cold - that was the rule decades ago when I was working in a similar environment at Allied Lyons in the UK midlands.