Colds

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
Why do your b.g. levels soar when you have a cold. woke this morning to a 16.5 now still up around 13 !!! corrected every so often. still stays up there. I wonder what makes it go high?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Susie, simple explanation is your body releases hormones to fight infection in your body and side effect is high blood glucose readings. If I remember correctly if your running above 18 mmol/l you should check for ketones, which is why us type 1's have to be extra vigilant with illness to ensure we don't get ketoacidosis, lots of testing and corrections and follow sick day rules if you've done DAFNE, otherwise check with you diabetic team.

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
Hi Susie, simple explanation is your body releases hormones to fight infection in your body and side effect is high blood glucose readings. If I remember correctly if your running above 18 mmol/l you should check for ketones, which is why us type 1's have to be extra vigilant with illness to ensure we don't get ketoacidosis, lots of testing and corrections and follow sick day rules if you've done DAFNE, otherwise check with you diabetic team.
Oh right, yes I've done DAFNE and did all the right things, eventually it's come down to a 'mere' 8 now... I just wondered what it was that made it go high, thanks for the explanation. btw... I did test for keytones too, nil.... phew! I also corrected before I went to bed, I was 8.7... just .75 unit on the pump... when I woke...still 8.7 the insulin did nothing. weird.. the whole diabetes thing is weird. don't you think?

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also corrected before I went to bed, I was 8.7... just .75 unit on the pump... when I woke...still 8.7 the insulin did nothing.

The insulin probably did it's usual job but the effects of the cold counter-acted it. It's just another reminder that absolutely everything affects our blood glucose!! Sounds like you're doing a good job of getting through it though, hope you feel better soon

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ha ha yes I Iike that description it is weird !! This is the bit where my head hurts as you have to try and work out why it's gone up and then how much insulin to take.. Still your readings are pretty good so it sounds like your over the worst of it now ;)