1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Colds

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by susieg, Nov 1, 2015.

1. susieg

susieg Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Why do your b.g. levels soar when you have a cold. woke this morning to a 16.5 now still up around 13 !!! corrected every so often. still stays up there. I wonder what makes it go high?

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Susie, simple explanation is your body releases hormones to fight infection in your body and side effect is high blood glucose readings. If I remember correctly if your running above 18 mmol/l you should check for ketones, which is why us type 1's have to be extra vigilant with illness to ensure we don't get ketoacidosis, lots of testing and corrections and follow sick day rules if you've done DAFNE, otherwise check with you diabetic team.

3. susieg

susieg Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh right, yes I've done DAFNE and did all the right things, eventually it's come down to a 'mere' 8 now... I just wondered what it was that made it go high, thanks for the explanation. btw... I did test for keytones too, nil.... phew! I also corrected before I went to bed, I was 8.7... just .75 unit on the pump... when I woke...still 8.7 the insulin did nothing. weird.. the whole diabetes thing is weird. don't you think?

4. BeccyB

BeccyB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The insulin probably did it's usual job but the effects of the cold counter-acted it. It's just another reminder that absolutely everything affects our blood glucose!! Sounds like you're doing a good job of getting through it though, hope you feel better soon

5. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Ha ha yes I Iike that description it is weird !! This is the bit where my head hurts as you have to try and work out why it's gone up and then how much insulin to take.. Still your readings are pretty good so it sounds like your over the worst of it now ;)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook