Coleslaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The coleslaw I buy in Tesco is 5% carbs and I have about 100 gms on my dry chicken breast. Personally I don't consider that a big problem and it makes the chicken much nicer.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I eat just normal shop bought coleslaw and do I measure it out or just throw it on?

To be honest, shop bought coleslaws vary a great deal. Theoretically they should be OK, but of course some have sultanas in and that's not so good.

You really need to look at the label and see what you think.

I tend to make my own, so that I can ensure I use quality mayonnaise in it. It's super easy to make and I tend to make a fairly large container which lasts us several days.

Gracie2007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To be honest, shop bought coleslaws vary a great deal. Theoretically they should be OK, but of course some have sultanas in and that's not so good.

You really need to look at the label and see what you think.

I tend to make my own, so that I can ensure I use quality mayonnaise in it. It's super easy to make and I tend to make a fairly large container which lasts us several days.
Sounds great....can I have the recipe please

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's easier than an easy thing in easy land!

I use the food processor which means it takes no time at all.

- Onion - Slices vertically, the passed through the slicing blade of the food processor
- White cabbage -cut into suitable pieces vertically, then passed through the same slicing blade of the food processor (Done after the onion tends to take the onion odour away) If I also have some red cabbage hanging around, I'd do that too.
- Carrott - Through the grater blade of the food processor
- Hellmans Mayonnaise

If you don't have or don't want to use a food processor, then just manually slice the onion and cabbage and hand grate the carrot.

Tip the raw veg into a generously sized bowl, the add dollops of the Hellmans and mix through.

Decant into a clip top container and store in the fridge. Eat as you care to.

The slicing can be a faff, if not using the processor and that's really the reason I make a vat at a time. It keeps the messing and the washing up around down. I'll quite often have a decent portion of that, with some cold meats or with cheese.

If I fancy a slightly different favour from time to time, I might add a little curry powder, or billi or fold grated cheese through a portion.

Quantities are as you want them. Enjoy!

Reactions: Salvia

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I buy Sainsbury basics coleslaw as it has no added sugar, and then add Helmans mayo. I used to always make my own but this is cheap and convenient.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As long as the dressing used is not full of sugars it's fine. Personally if it does not have nutritional info on the package I would pass on it and make my own. Here you can buy the veg already shredded in a bag and just need to add dressing of choice.