1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Colieac disease

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by Saeeda, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Saeeda

Saeeda Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have both diabetes and coeliac disease..been trying my best and been good with coping with my gluten. But today I ate a whole cereal bar which I bought from the free from aisle. Im feeling shattered and not hungry and sleepy..should I expect to feel worse in the morning? And when will it flush out of my system?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If it was in the free from section and was gluten-free its shouldn't matter (with regards to your coeliac) if that's why you think you're not feeling well. Or was it just more than you would normally eat? Or did you not take any/enough insulin for it? Or was it not gluten-free?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Saeeda

Hi Rokaab. No it dint say gluten free. Every item that doesn't contain days so doesn't it?this is the first one I've come across...containing oats

4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi I have Coeliac and if the said item was in the free from aisle and it didn't state it was gluten free, I would take it to customers services and alert them that it doesn't say gluten free or free from and shouldn't be in that section. It is not nice feeling so ill.

5. Saeeda

Thanks for that idea Robinredbreast

6. Nyxks

Nyxks Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It could be gluten free even with oats used but since oats have their own gluten that the body can react to it can for some great gf oats as if they are not gf unfortunately.

7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

It's also worth noting that not everything in the Free From section is free from gluten. In all our major supermarkets in our town, the Free From area includes Free From: gluten, dairy, eggs, animal produce, and probably other things I can't recall off the top of my head.

The only things I go there for are GF Soy Sauce and GF Worcestershire Sauce. I eat a wide and varied diet, but all foods are naturally GF, as opposed to being reformulated to swap in other ingredients.

• Like Like x 1
    #7 DCUKMod, May 5, 2019 at 8:17 PM
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook