Collapsed:How low is too low

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast and.lunch are ok as everyone does their own basically. I have eggs, they have cereal. Its more an issue with dinner and pudding. Some things they will eat the same as me but others they wont. My daughter is more flexible there as she likes veges where as the males dont. Everyone loves my LC baking but to be honest I cant afford to let them eat it as almond.meal is $24 a kg and they get carried away and dont.just.have one piece like I do.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to cook a meat, have one or two veg and a salad and some rice for those that want. If I cook a pizza, I'll have something completely different, but that only happens one every two weeks.... I get to have something like kidneys, which I love the family are happy.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's an interesting concept, I've seen it before, but why should they?

Just simple things like allowing the OP to cook one meal as opposed to more than one eating option?

You will note I did say "largely" in my question. MY OH and I eat the same meals, but if he wants to have more potato or chips or a traditional dessert, he can crack on and do that. I'll probably have more veg, but they'd be the same veg. But the main cooking is just one option. We like to eat. We enjoy eating together and have always used our evening mealtime as a window in our day when we would discuss what we've been up to, and so on. If we started eating different things or at different time, I'm certain it would impact our relationship.

Are you the cook in your household, or is your partner?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do all the cooking in our house. They are all ingrained in their old eating habits and they love to eat their pies, chips, biscuits and ice cream. It doesn't worry me to cook different meals as I find with good time management and planning it is quite easy. For example if they have crumbed chicken tortillas and chips I will have a chicken breast stuffed with cream cheese and cheese and wrapped in bacon with some veges. I will get my chicken on first and then I will make the tortillas and chips and cook my veges by which time my chicken is ready so it all works out pretty well. The thing I miss the most is the convenience of just grabbing something from the pantry or freezer and being able to chuck it in the oven or microwave and presto its done.

Reactions: 4 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi @4ratbags. Your experience sounds pretty horrible, & I'm pleased to hear youve recovered well from it. I know your resilience will see you through any knock-on issues. For all the negative connotations associated with depression, the positive is that enduring it over time builds inner strength & determination. Which you must have in abundance. Your excellent glycaemic control is a testament to your own hard work in the face of adversity. I admire that. My warmest wishes to you hun. X

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@4ratbags, I'm a t1 and I thought I'd comment after reading everyone else's comments and your experience. Having had a collapsing hypo caused by insulin pharmacokinetics and another caused by basal insulin, I'd suggest that the symptoms you describe sound, to me at least, much more like a blood pressure related collapse. I know what low blood pressure on rising can feel like and it is much more aligned with the symptoms you have described than low blood glucose. I think this is an avenue you should consider.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
@4ratbags, I'm a t1 and I thought I'd comment after reading everyone else's comments and your experience. Having had a collapsing hypo caused by insulin pharmacokinetics and another caused by basal insulin, I'd suggest that the symptoms you describe sound, to me at least, much more like a blood pressure related collapse. I know what low blood pressure on rising can feel like and it is much more aligned with the symptoms you have described than low blood glucose. I think this is an avenue you should consider.
Does low blood pressure cause sweating?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Alisonjane10 It was definitely not something I want to repeat in a hurry, actually make that never!!! I know you are pretty disciplined when it comes to your diet in that you can choose your portion size ect and stick to it pretty much and I really do admire your self control there as I find I am absolutely hopeless, if I start I find it hard to stop which is why I now know very LC is for me and I'm fine with that. I love my food and I enjoy what I eat so that is good. I'm just sooo glad that I found this forum and all the great members contained within otherwise I don't think I would be so positive about my diabetes as when I am down I can always come on here and have my spirits lifted especially from the 'have a smile' thread. Thank you for your kind words it is appreciated.

Reactions: 5 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @tim2000s thank you I didn't know that it could be low BP. I have only ever had a problem with low BP once and that was when my first daughter was born by emergency caesarean and I nearly didn't make it. I usually suffer from high BP instead so either way I think it will be something to talk about with the GP. In any instance I am keeping a good eye on what I am eating in relation to how much exercise ect I am doing just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi @tim2000s thank you I didn't know that it could be low BP. I have only ever had a problem with low BP once and that was when my first daughter was born by emergency caesarean and I nearly didn't make it. I usually suffer from high BP instead so either way I think it will be something to talk about with the GP. In any instance I am keeping a good eye on what I am eating in relation to how much exercise ect I am doing just to be on the safe side.
I have high BP too, I'm on quinapril 5mg daily to keep it under 130/80. I might be able to get by without the meds these days having lost weight but I sort of don't want to risk trying to stop them (with GP agreement if I did). I had several low BP attacks in my teens but none since. Apparently it can be a teenage thing - you never know, you might be having a second adolescence, lol.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It might not be especially low blood pressure, but in context of generally being high, having something that was "low normal" can have the effect of feeling low. Wonderful things, these bodies of ours!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My BP is normally 170/80 but it is now 138/70 so a bit of a drop so it might be affecting me slightly. Dr doesnt have any idea what may have caused me to collapse so I have to wait for the results of my blood test to see if anything shows ip. ECG was fine as well.

oldsurveyor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My BP is consistently 120ish/62ish and has been for decades

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My BP is normally 170/80 but it is now 138/70 so a bit of a drop so it might be affecting me slightly. Dr doesnt have any idea what may have caused me to collapse so I have to wait for the results of my blood test to see if anything shows ip. ECG was fine as well.
138 is still a little higher than recommended and a whole lot better than 170 and 70 is a good number, so the ticker is not looking too bad. WIsh you good.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully the blood tests will show something as most days I am still lightheaded, sometimes all day with nausea coming and going. I am being a bit cautious and trying to take it easy.

fingerspete

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i get very moody when my sugar level start to drop i then know it time to get a fix straight away but anything below 4 is low

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Why should she eat something if she's below 4 and feeling fine? If I did that's I'd be grazing constantly, and I'd have to eat in the night.

From her profile, which I am assuming is correct, bearing in mind @4ratbags 's stated HbA1c score, she is not taking any meds and extremely well controlled.

below 4 is a low blood sugar and below 5 you are not supposed to drive and they will take your license away