Approved College Research - any input appreciated.

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Hi,
I'm carrying out Investigative Research at College and wondered if any members could help me out ? I'm doing a Human Higher Biology piece on the cost of IVF treatments on the NHS and whether the money could be better spent on other treatments for more common illnesses. I have decided to do my piece on Type 1 diabetes and insulin pumps. Is it easy to get one ? What are the requirements to even ask for one from your GP. Has anyone been told they don't apply ? Is it getting easier nowadays to get one or more difficult ?
Any information will be treated in complete confidence, no names used, purely just data for tables and graphs.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and hopefully give some feedback.

Rachelanne

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IVF is extremely difficult to get on the NHS- it's a post code lottery and then the criteria is so tight. I was too old at 28 to access it and couldn't afford it myself. Infertility for some is devastating and all consuming and can wreck marriages and lives. Not for me I hasten to add I was quite pragmatic about it - I agree with @azure I wouldn't like to see IVF lose its funding - I think there is arguments for both

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that it is devastating but while playing devil's advocate I would ask if it were a disease or a natural condition.

It could be either, some people are naturally infertile and some become infertile due to illness, disease or various treatments for their illnesses or diseases, and whilst it can be devastating its not life threatening......which diabetes can be......

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Thank u !! I will definitely take a look at that website - ta much !
I agree that IVF should have NHS funding and I also agree that the NHS needs to be properly funded. It's a comparison I'm looking for. I'm trying to see if there is a massive difference in the people being offered IVF to the people being offered an insulin pump and if the costings are on a par with each other.
Thank you again for your input

Rachelanne

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Throwing my thoughts into this...

I suppose IVF (if successful?) could be seen as a "boil in the bag" solution.
Where insulin therapy (of any method.) is "ongoing."

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be either, some people are naturally infertile and some become infertile due to illness, disease or various treatments for their illnesses or diseases, and whilst it can be devastating its not life threatening......which diabetes can be......
Isn't that nature taking its usual cruel course?

Also disease is usually when a patient has lost something they had before and no longer have it. Infertility, however stressful is something the unfortunate couple never had so it is not a loss.

If they lost their fertility due to illness or surgery I can only sympathise and encourage them to seek help but I think that funding for people who are infertile should be weighed against more life threatening conditions.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Isn't that nature taking its usual cruel course?

Also disease is usually when a patient has lost something they had before and no longer have it. Infertility, however stressful is something the unfortunate couple never had so it is not a loss.

If they lost their fertility due to illness or surgery I can only sympathise and encourage them to seek help but I think that funding for people who are infertile should be weighed against more life threatening conditions.

It is indeed nature playing a duff hand, and as too the other I agree with you..

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter in law had leukaemia. She needed chemotherapy immediately and there wasn't time to freeze her eggs, so hers all died. She is now allowed 2 cycles (only) of IVF with donated eggs. I wouldn't like to see funding for this cut at all.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter in law had leukaemia. She needed chemotherapy immediately and there wasn't time to freeze her eggs, so hers all died. She is now allowed 2 cycles (only) of IVF with donated eggs. I wouldn't like to see funding for this cut at all.
That's life. I hope she has success with her donated eggs.

Reactions: zand

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Infertility isn't just about not being able to have a child. It's about a many number of things - mental health, quality of life to name just 2 - to be honest unless you have been through it it's difficult to understand, I've been through it and find it difficult to explain what it does, I really don't want to if I'm honest.

I'm not arguing one is more important than the other, what I'm trying to say is that the two things are too far apart to be comparable. But it's the normal way to compare IVF costs to any treatment in the NHS. a bit like the T2 = fat greedy etc