Coming off Metformin

Laconic

Doctor is happy for me to come off it, I’ve got about 4 weeks worth left at 1 500mg tab a day wondered if I show finish them off or flush them down the toilet

M

Member496333

When I came off Metformin I did so immediately but kept my remaining stash just in case I felt I needed to urgently go back on it.

Reactions: Bex72

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doctor is happy for me to come off it, I’ve got about 4 weeks worth left at 1 500mg tab a day wondered if I show finish them off or flush them down the toilet
When I took them they flushed themselves down the toilet pretty quickly after I swallowed them!

M

Member496333

When I took them they flushed themselves down the toilet pretty quickly after I swallowed them!

I didn’t suffer too badly and soon settled down. Perhaps bizarrely, I suffered more side effects when I came off them. Not usually a good sign where drugs are concerned.

True story.

M

Member496333

I’ve decided to finish them off, might have a Keto friendly Whisky with the final one

Word to the wise. If you discover that your blood glucose is rising above where you want it, and you decide you want to go back on the Metformin, you may struggle to get a prescription quickly, given the current shambles. Personally I see no reason to 'finish off' your current prescription if you've already decided to quit, especially as you have the blessing of your doctor. Up to you of course. Not trying to influence your choice. Just that you may regret it if you do then urgently need Metformin and can't get any.

All that aside, I'm sure you'll be fine, and well done in getting off the stuff.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve decided to finish them off, might have a Keto friendly Whisky with the final one
Why would you keep taking a medicine your doctor doesn't advise you to take?

I'd put them in a back drawer just in case, or if you don't want to do this, return them to the pharmacy.
Please don't flush medicine down the toilet.

elram

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would like to come off my metformin, currently prescribed 1000mg X2 daily, but reluctant to approach Dr. Queried once before about cutting down or stopping and was told 'they do other things as well'. At the moment changing diet and using an old box of metformin 500 x 2 per day. Readings 7.7 morning and 2 hours later 11.0, breakfast was, home made split pea and sweet potato soup with one slice of wholemeal home made bread. Been on Metformin since 1996. Normal average is usually around 6.o. This sounds really silly but feel so brainwashed into believing all hell will break loose if I cut down, suppose confidence is lacking in ones body as opposed to popping the tablets. Next time I shall cut out the sweet potato..... Thoughts would be appreciated thanks.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to come off my metformin, currently prescribed 1000mg X2 daily, but reluctant to approach Dr. Queried once before about cutting down or stopping and was told 'they do other things as well'. At the moment changing diet and using an old box of metformin 500 x 2 per day. Readings 7.7 morning and 2 hours later 11.0, breakfast was, home made split pea and sweet potato soup with one slice of wholemeal home made bread. Been on Metformin since 1996. Normal average is usually around 6.o. This sounds really silly but feel so brainwashed into believing all hell will break loose if I cut down, suppose confidence is lacking in ones body as opposed to popping the tablets. Next time I shall cut out the sweet potato..... Thoughts would be appreciated thanks.
Hi @elram ,

To cut out metformin, you might want to change your diet a bit more first. You're still seeing double digits, and that's not good. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ <-- have a read, it might help you make some changes that'll get your blood sugars down and show your doc you can actually do without it. But you'll want decent blood sugar control first... Otherwise they'll keep shrugging you off.

Reactions: tklee

elram

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the reply and advice J and the pointer to the article, which looks interesting but will take me a little more time to study and get a better grasp of its contents. :)