Coming off Metformin

Johosephat

Since Jan 2021 I've been on 4 x 500mg Metformin. Today I received a call from the doctor saying I can stop taking them.

When I first started taking Metformin I had stomach issues and my short distance vision temporarily deteriorated hugely. Thankfully both of these resolved themselves after a few weeks.

Has anyone in the group experienced any symptoms to be aware of when they stopped taking Metformin?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The vision changes are likely to have been from reducing your blood glucose, not a direct side effect of the metformin.
Vision changes when bg changes, so if your numbers won't go significantly up after stopping the metformin you shouldn't expect anything like that.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all individual in our responses, but I am in the process of doing the same, only I have cut back to half and intend to cut out the other half in a couple of weeks IF my BG stays in the non-diabetic range. So far it has.

Reactions: Johosephat
D

Deleted member 543160

I never had any issues nor saw any changes in glucose levels when I stopped SR metformin. But apart from a couple of time when I got bad cases of the runs from eating too many carbs, and with one brand that disagreed in general with me, I never had any other issues when I was actually taking it either.

Reactions: 1pilgrim

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no problem when I took Metformin, when I stopped taking it several years later I cut the dose back after a GP discussion, till I stopped taking them all together.

I had no problem coming off them either.