1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Coming to term with diagnosis or either type

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Rosieroo, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Rosieroo

Rosieroo LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi all
    I was diagnosed with GD at 22 weeks pregnant. I got told that it would go once my baby was born however it didn't and I was diagnosed with type 2 . However I've struggled to get my levels down and had further tests and have been told I am type 1.5 and will eventually be type 1.

It's been quite a year since having my little boy , I had a feeling I didn't have type 2. It's weird because I know it's common and know so many people with it but I never realised how it can be hard. I work in a school and we have young children who have to inject and test and I see them in a new light now and think if they can manage it so can I.

I wanted to ask you all how have you accepted having diabetes

• Like Like x 1
  2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Yes @Rosieroo , it's the only way to cope with diabetes and live a near normal life. Take care and best wishes.

3. mist

mist · Guest

I laugh at it, humour gets me through most things..:D

4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

I think the answer for me was understanding it wasn't my fault. Learning more about it made me feel better.

That and time. It took me months to properly come to terms with Type 1, but gradually I learnt to concentrate on controlling it and not letting it control me.

It's not easy though. It's a big lifestyle change. Give yourself time and be kind to yourself.

5. tim32

tim32 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I tried to drown it with Guinness, (That does not work) Then i found this forum and website, I am probably now a Type 2 low carb high fat bore, on the plus side i am 3 stone lighter and i hope my HBA1C results on Tuesday will put me back in the pre diabetes range. We all handle it differently but you can ask questions on here (no matter how silly or trivial they seem) and you get answers. I fall out with myself and my diet and my diabetes, but with the support of this community i get back "on message" and carry on.
    Don't beat yourself up, don't give up, and treat yourself once in a while.
    Good luck with your journey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook