Common Cold - My Favourite Time To Be Type 1...

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just returned home from holiday on Sunday and have been hit with an almighty common cold.
Nothing out of the ordinary, had a few sniffles, saw my bg was sky rocketing and figured out I was properly ill. Now onto day 2 with the actual being ill is the worst.. What fun.

Drinking loads of water, testing continuously and continuing work. Yay all is fun and games in the life of a diabetic.

I don't know how you all react to illness but I am of the mindset that everything continues as normal with only slight adjustments to hopefully recover faster.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just returned home from holiday on Sunday and have been hit with an almighty common cold.
Nothing out of the ordinary, had a few sniffles, saw my bg was sky rocketing and figured out I was properly ill. Now onto day 2 with the actual being ill is the worst.. What fun.

Drinking loads of water, testing continuously and continuing work. Yay all is fun and games in the life of a diabetic.

I don't know how you all react to illness but I am of the mindset that everything continues as normal with only slight adjustments to hopefully recover faster.
@noblehead should be able to provide you with a pretty handy flowchart as to how to keep on top of BG levels when unwell. I'm sure you're doing fine but everyday is a school day:)

Grant

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reactions: 4 people

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am getting a 404 not found error, anyone else?

Thought I would grab it ready for the inevitable :)

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It worked for me! But unfortunately I don't have ketone testing....
Otherwise feeling tonnes better - blood sugar down to 6 and hydrated and fed.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It worked for me! But unfortunately I don't have ketone testing....
Otherwise feeling tonnes better - blood sugar down to 6 and hydrated and fed.

Great news that things are improving :)

Have you ran out of ketone strips or do you not have them on prescription? If the latter get them to add them to your repeat.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Latter - only ever used them as a small child so the only ones I have expired in the late 1990s.... Need to ask my DSN about it all!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Latter - only ever used them as a small child so the only ones I have expired in the late 1990s.... Need to ask my DSN about it all!

I have two meters that test for ketones, the one I get ketone strips prescribed for is the GlucoMen LX Plus, if you ring the manufacturer they'll send one out for free.

Blood ketone testing is more accurate and reliable than the urine strips we were prescribed in the 90's, but your gp might object to prescribing these strips due to the cost so a letter from your DSN should help.