Commuting suicide by denial

Flyonthewall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a son who is 32 with cognitive disability refusing to go to the doctor or take his meds for diabetes. Severe depression and anti social.Borderline type 2/1 Diabetes. He is slowly dying and I can see it. This has been going on for 8 months now. He is down to 78 pounds. Almost lost him about a year ago for a sepsis infection. I feel like he is dying before my eyes. I know he is. Has anyone run into this problem or have a solution? I am afraid time is running out.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I’m so sorry to hear about your son. You must be so worried.

Have you spoken to his doctor and his healthcare team about your concerns?

Flyonthewall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They cannot force him to go. He was on a medical /phyciatric hold one time 2 years ago when first diagnosed. They kept him for 5 days and sent him home with no referrals. They have cut so many programs for the disabled that there is very little help available. I am currently trying to get a hold of an Patient/Advocacy to see if that goes anywhere. We have limited insurance coverage so the choices are slim. I feel so hopeless, but i can't stop trying to save him from himself.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Flyonthewall, I am sorry that you have to witness this in your son - you obviously love him dearly - and being disabled makes it even more difficult, I'm sure. As he is 32, have you had a talk with him about what is happening? It takes a ton of courage, but have you asked him if he wants to live or die? Perhaps this is his way of saying he is at his end....that he doesn't want to go on? Being able to actually admit that or feel like someone is finally listening to him might be the beginning of recovery....or at least acknowledging that he is in difficulty.

Year ago, as a community nurse, I had a client who was in her 60s and severely anorexic and her hubby and mother were so angry that she wouldn't eat....it was the only thing in her life she could control and she had made her choice....after some intervention, everyone understood what her wishes were and she passed away in peace after a long hard struggle.

I only give this case as an example, but perhaps that could be a starting point, recognizing he is in anguish and allowing him some choices. I don't mean to be offensive, so please forgive me if I am coming off that way....my heart goes out to both of you and I will be praying for you both. Blessings/L

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Very sorry for your and his situation. I'm not a psych doc, but seems the starting point is getting him into some psych care and/or support group - also seems an "intervention" may be necessary to do this. It is unfortunate that "the system" doesnt seem to care much. My heart goes out to you both. I hope you can get him to accept some help. Best wishes.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Flyonthewall Have you tried contacting Diabetes UK, they have a helpline 0345 123 2399 https://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_help It may be worth a call to see if there are any suggestions they can make, or try JDRF too, at this present time I think any help at all would be useful to your situation.