Comparison of Blood Glucose Monitors/Meters

Redathena

Dislikes
Orthodox medicine
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can advise if there is a comparison site for blood glucose monitors, I am trying to decide which one to buy and there are a myriad of devices on offer. I would also appreciate any advice from those that have been through this decision process.

I know that the monitors differ in the time taken for results, the amount of blood required, etc and being a bit averse to pain and generally find it difficult to give blood samples, so I want a device that requires the minimum amount of blood and is less painful to use.

Also do all the monitors come with lancets, I want a lancet that doesn't allow me to view the blood sample, as I am squeamish.

I would appreciate any advice.

Many Thanks

shellie08

hi,
i have type 1 diabetes and i use a freestyle mini. I do not find it painful, it only needs a small drop of blood, and results only take a few seconds. It is also very compact.

A lancet device comes with the meter, and when you use the lancet, it holds, positions, and controls how deeply the lancet goes into the skin. don't worry, you do not actually see it happen.

hope this helps!

Whitevanman

I find Accu-Chek vey good, and there back up is even better, Free record books, free battires for life, even everything you need to transfer the information from the machine to computer for free.
Graham.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I use a one touch,I like it,you only need a small drop of blood and there is a website and a programme you can tranfer all your info from your meter too.I print it out whenever I go to the docs/nurse .They seem quite impressed.

Knowledge is the key to control

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Some questions:

Firstly, are there any UK sites with comparison details?

Secondly, do all meters come with lancet devices?
If not, which lancet device is best, and can you adjust it for the amount of blood you require for the tester? The amount of blood required seems to be quite variable.

Finally, is there any comparison of accuracy? Are the quick ones which require minimal blood as accurate as the slow ones which require a finger full?

Cheers

Dave R

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. I've done a quick Google trawl through the net and couldn't find any UK websites that publish comparisons between the various BG monitors on the market. However I did see that Which have done a comparison but the results are only available to their subscribers. But the good news is that you can subscribe for a 30 day trial period for £1 if you really feel the need to study their findings. Here's a link:

http://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_camp ... 115966.jsp

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Dennis,

thanks for that.

I am a Which member so when I get home (and find my ID and password) I'll check this out.

Cheers

Dave R

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have an Abbot Freestyle Freedom. This comes with a lancet and works on the smallest drop of blood. They provide free meter upgrades. They also send you a free cable and software to connect it to your computer. They also provide ongoing support through their website and freefone telephone. You can get testing fluid to test the meters accuracy.

http://www.abbottdiabetescare.co.uk/

Mine was just given to me by the GP's surgery so I didn't have any choice in the make. Have you tried asking your doctor for one?

Tattoo azz

Hi
I use a onetouch ultra smart, it suits me and tests in only 5 secs with an adjustable finger pricker. It comes with software and pc cable, mind you most meters are pretty much the same these days and as i'm sure most of you are aware we as diabetics don't pay the tax, so it's basically down to which one you like the look of. I don't recall a finger pricker that allows you to not view the droplet tho so if you don't like the sight of blood then i don't know how you can avoid it.
Good look
Azz

Does anyone know anything about, or where to get one of these new-fangled "continuous" blood sugar monitors. I think they take a reading every 3 to 5 minutes. I've seen them on U.S. websites. Being newly-diagnosed I would find this extremely useful, tracking the effects of various foods and combinations of foods. (Maybe this should be a new topic).

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi MacintoshScot,

Try Googling "continuous glucose monitoring" under UK search only. I did and found 13,300 entries!

descartesmum

Dave, didn't you get a meter when you were first dx? If you go and have a word with the practice nurse you might be able to get one free.

Superdrug and Lloyds do fairly inexpensive ones.

The meters come with maybe 5 lancets. You can get further lancets on the nhs, ask your gp or diabetes nurse for a prescription.

I have a OneTouch, which I really like.

Did you know that there is a Yahoo UK Diabetes group?

Carol in the Home Counties.

LittleGreyCat said:
Some questions:

Firstly, are there any UK sites with comparison details?

Secondly, do all meters come with lancet devices?
If not, which lancet device is best, and can you adjust it for the amount of blood you require for the tester? The amount of blood required seems to be quite variable.

Finally, is there any comparison of accuracy? Are the quick ones which require minimal blood as accurate as the slow ones which require a finger full?

Cheers

Dave R

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
i find the softclix lancet on the Accu-Chek Compact Plus meter virtually pain free! You can still see the blood though, sorry, the compact plug meter does need a great deal of blood either. It's my favorite meter that i've used so far.

Leosrme

Hi, I use the Accutest Meter. Its pretty good and easy to use. However, I don't think its possible to do your blood test without having to see the blood - it is only a tiny drop. With the lancet devices these days, you don't see the lancet prick your finger at all. I can remember the old days when I had to stab myself with a needle and then use a test strip out of the pot and compare the colour chart! Stabbing myself with the needle was pretty nasty :shock:
Thank goodness for technology!
Bren

Hi...I think the only way to compare glucose meters is to try different ones over a period of time. I started out with Accu-Chek, and have had a couple of those. They work fine, but they are bulky, and the case for the latest one took up half of my handbag to carry it with me! They also use the barrel of strips, which is bulky, therefore needing a bulky meter. So, I was thrilled when the Bayer people sent me one of the 50 Breeze2 meters that were on a give-away offer. They are absolutely brilliant. And when you call their toll free number to register the meter, you are talking to a real nurse, she explains everything about the meter, is there 24/7, you get free batteries and monitoring books whenever you need them. The monitor itself is impressive, easy to use, accurate, and small. It takes a round flat disk of 10 strips, and you just pop it in...fast and simple. It comes initially with 1 disk, but I have just ordered a box and the boxes contain 5 disks of 10 strips each. So, all said, I am impressed with this machine, and it has become my choice. It's very fast, and hardly takes any blood to get results. The strip somehow pulls the blood from the drop on your finger, so you don't have to struggle positioning the strip to receive it, like the Accu-Chek. I like the fact that it's small, and if you want to use it in public, it's quiet...doesn't sound like a chainsaw starting up!!

Those are my recommendations, and I'd say the Breeze2 is worth looking into.

SH (There is an ad for the give away Breeze 2 at the bottom of the page here!)

malky

i used and acu-check advantage and then was up graded to the avviva and to be honest i wouldnt have said there was much difference, i then recived a freestyle mini from my diabetes centre but only used it with the free lancets and strips as i was to lazy to get my prescription changed, but i wish i had done i find the acu-check is a bit big compared to the freestyle, and i have now noticed they dont do the freestyle anymore, can anyone reccomend a small and compact meter that i could maybe try and get

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
yes,

sounds like you might like the OneTouch Ultra-easy (or is it the ultra-mini in the UK?) either way it's very small, the Onetouch Ultra strips are available on prescription too.

They should have them in your local pharmacy, it might be worth popping in and ask to see one!

You can also hook it up to the computer and download your readings for graphs and averages etc. Averages are on the meter too.

Stu

Berbatov

Dislikes
To date GP's with uncaring attitudes, whom think they are diabetic consultants.
I got a leflet from the local chemist for a new Glucomen LX, just rang them for more info, they took my details, next day, they have sent a brand new meter for me. I find it much better than the one touch ultra, as I found it tricky getting the blood into the strip, with the Glucomen its like the blood is drawn into the strip and you need less blood, and the results are stored upto 400 of them, it can give you your daily average, 7 day, 14 day, monthly etc averages.

I think they dont mind giving meters away as they make the real money from testing strips.