Completely over it

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a great day on my three week holiday finished off with a noodle dinner and ice cream. Took the ( or so I thought) appropriate amount of insulin using my carbs and cals app and the food label of the ice cream
Two hours later felt a bit off so checked my blood sugar. 1.9!!!
Now three bags of sweets in and I've probably over corrected- however currently nervous of even sleeping due to the stress of it all.
The crux of it is that I am completely over this illness. All I want to do is live my life and be healthy. Every week it seems like some diabetes related curve ball is waiting to hit me in the face. I'm over weight and my diet now starts again tomorrow because of the sugar fest that has just had to happen
I've tried low carb but can never fully stick to it for a long period of time
I cant speak to my family about this as they get really anxious when I mention my hypos
My friends just point blank dont get it
I dont have a partner
I pride myself on having complete control over this disease and being the boss of it, but then something like this happens and I crumble
Anyway I just needed to rant. Sorry for the ramble

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a great day on my three week holiday finished off with a noodle dinner and ice cream. Took the ( or so I thought) appropriate amount of insulin using my carbs and cals app and the food label of the ice cream
Now three bags of sweets in and I've probably over corrected- however currently nervous of even sleeping due to the stress of it all.
The crux of it is that I am completely over this illness. All I want to do is live my life and be healthy. Every week it seems like some diabetes related curve ball is waiting to hit me in the face. I'm over weight and my diet now starts again tomorrow because of the sugar fest that has just had to happen
I cant speak to my family about this as they get really anxious when I mention my hypos
I dont have a partner
I pride myself on having complete control over this disease and being the boss of it, but then something like this happens and I crumble
Do the hypos happen as a crash after a sugar fest or is it when you overestimate how much insulin to take?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont have a partner
Hello!
With ice cream, I don't know if you know about split dose because of the fat content in ice cream or for greasy, fatty foods, which may have helped with the peak and not hypo after it. I understand diabetes needs quite a bit of attention and help, we are all sailing the same boat and you're not alone. I do recommend speaking to your GP for therapy if you need extra support - there are therapists tailored to long term health conditions. I also like to add maybe talk to your diabetes team about it to see what they can offer, I know there are carb counting courses such as DAFNE to further help you with carb counting and dose adjustments.

Reactions: 1spuds

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ice cream is a real struggle for me. Fine during the day time if I'm walking about, but no chance in the evening if I'm heading off to bed a few hours after.

It causes a really slow gradual rise in me. If we're out walking them the exercise offsets it and I only take a tiny amount of insulin.

If it's in the evening then if I give a bolus for the carbs then the insulin beats the sugar release and I go v low then later v high. Best to split the bolus but I can still find myself waking up feeling ill with BG zooming up hours after I've eaten it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @bellabella I really get where your coming from, don't give up though, there is a way round everything and even if you got it wrong now there's an opportunity to learn and change how you do it in future.

I agree with Knikki the noodles could of been slow to digest then the fat in the ice cream would of further delayed carb absorption so the timing of the bolus was a mis match, on the whole I find stuff like pizza and Indian takeaways difficult to manage because of the fat, I also split my bolus, but still never quite get a perfect marriage, takes a bit of patience and testing.

Each event is a learning curve but don't let it defeat you :)

Reactions: 1spuds

CearaRed1073

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
onions, cheeseburgers, diabetes, colors of red, yellow, and orange, houston (too big and WAY too much traffic, not nearly enough public transportation)
Coming at this from a completely different angle...have you ever considered either an insulin pump or a Freestyle Libre (like PM May?...no, I don't want to bring her politics into the discussion, but she is a T-1 and she does use the Libre).

I've been on a pump for 16 years and at my diabetes education class last month, the CDE started talking to me about square wave boluses and it sounds like it would fit you well. I copied this from the Medtronic website (primarily because this is from the pump I currently use...YMMV). "A Square Wave bolus delivers a single bolus evenly over an extended period of time, from 30 minutes to 8 hours. You might use a Square Wave bolus if you have delayed food digestion due to gastroparesis or meals high in fat, when snacking over a period of time or if a Normal bolus causes your blood sugar to drop too rapidly."

And I'm going to start using the Libre tomorrow, as I just picked up a month's supply of them today, thanks to my health insurance doing me a solid this month. So I will let you know how that works out for me.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
The sugar fest I alluded to was the sugar i took to treat my BSL.of 1.9
Oh sorry, I've just recently retrained myself to think of anything that rises your blood glucose as sugar, since that what it all becomes in your blood.
I ate a meat pie the other day and when I measured the spike, it may as well have been cake...
You say you have trouble eating low carb for long periods. Do you find it easier to manage your levels when you ate eating low carb? Are the rises and doses more predictable?
As someone with a long history of a sweet tooth, I sympathasize how hard it is not to want to eat them, but also bread, rice, pasta and noodles. All yummy but all nasty to our bodies. :p

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As someone with a long history of a sweet tooth, I sympathasize how hard it is not to want to eat them, but also bread, rice, pasta and noodles. All yummy but all nasty to our bodies. :p

It's important to remember that all those yummy things aren't necessarily nasty to the bodies of T1 people.

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coming at this from a completely different angle...have you ever considered either an insulin pump or a Freestyle Libre (like PM May?...no, I don't want to bring her politics into the discussion, but she is a T-1 and she does use the Libre).

I've been on a pump for 16 years and at my diabetes education class last month, the CDE started talking to me about square wave boluses and it sounds like it would fit you well. I copied this from the Medtronic website (primarily because this is from the pump I currently use...YMMV). "A Square Wave bolus delivers a single bolus evenly over an extended period of time, from 30 minutes to 8 hours. You might use a Square Wave bolus if you have delayed food digestion due to gastroparesis or meals high in fat, when snacking over a period of time or if a Normal bolus causes your blood sugar to drop too rapidly."

And I'm going to start using the Libre tomorrow, as I just picked up a month's supply of them today, thanks to my health insurance doing me a solid this month. So I will let you know how that works out for me.
I'm definitely going to get the libre once I get back.home from my trip. My insurance doesn't cover it I dont think so.it will be self funded but I think it will be extremely beneficial longterm. The pump is a consideration but I'll need to discuss this with my diabetes team.further. I think I am going to have to go down that route though as I'm finding my control is way too variable on the pens. And I work shift work as well with regular weekends and nights etc, which doesn't help
Thanks for all the advice and replies everyone. Just had one of 'those moments'- feeling more in control today!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Diabetes Forum mobile app

Reactions: Juicyj and Knikki

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
You would probably still be wise to steer clear of the highly processed carbs, wouldn't you? But even if you didn't, do T1s have a good 40 years or so before their livers and cells overfill and cause insulin resistance? I forgot that a T1 isn't necessarily insulin resistant at all, are they? So you just have to get your insulin dose right to deal with your meals. Which means you can enjoy the naughty stuff still. Until your teeth rot, like mine have from all th e biscuits :p

48 years here and zero insulin resistance! Can I ask what my liver and cells are overfilled with??? I am a bit concerned here :)

Reactions: Robinredbreast
D

Deleted Account

@Cocosilk whilst insulin resistance is becoming more common, I think there is a risk of the numbers becoming exaggerated. The statistics for 2017 showed 4.28% of people in the UK with type 2 and type 1 diabetes. Not everyone will experience insulin resistance and, to my knowledge, the risk is not increased because we have type 1.

Apologies to the OP for perpetuating the thread de-railing as I enjoy my stem ginger muffin.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
You would probably still be wise to steer clear of the highly processed carbs, wouldn't you? But even if you didn't, do T1s have a good 40 years or so before their livers and cells overfill and cause insulin resistance? I forgot that a T1 isn't necessarily insulin resistant at all, are they? So you just have to get your insulin dose right to deal with your meals. Which means you can enjoy the naughty stuff still. Until your teeth rot, like mine have from all th e biscuits :p

30 years type 1 and my Insulin is: 3 x NovoRapid and 1 x Tresiba, and between 26 to 28 units per day and still going strong :)

Reactions: Kim Possible

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
20 years T1 here, less than 25u a day - zero insulin resistance! We’re not metabolically compromised so can literally eat what we like.

Reactions: Daphne917

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
@Cocosilk whilst insulin resistance is becoming more common, I think there is a risk of the numbers becoming exaggerated. The statistics for 2017 showed 4.28% of people in the UK with type 2 and type 1 diabetes. Not everyone will experience insulin resistance and, to my knowledge, the risk is not increased because we have type 1.

Apologies to the OP for perpetuating the thread de-railing as I enjoy my stem ginger muffin.
Forgive my ignorance about T1. I just read some of the stories on the thread explaining what it's like to have T1... I think I understand a little better now...:inpain::inpain::inpain:

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
20 years T1 here, less than 25u a day - zero insulin resistance! We’re not metabolically compromised so can literally eat what we like.
You would probably have to work harder to become insulin resistant with the balancing act you have. Forgive my ignorance about T1. I just read some stories from the thread explaining what it's like to have T1... one person was saying that having a second helping during a meal is not worth the trouble once you've already had your carefully calculated dose of insulin. So you probably have better eating habits than those of us (me) who were forever nibbling on snacks. It makes sense that you don't become insulin resistant if you don't over-indulge. I'm glad to hear it since no one deserves that on top of what you're already dealing with...