Complications. Caused by Diabetes or Poorly Controlled Diabetes?

James_Donnelly

What the situation with regards to complications?

Obviously I know what some of them can be long term like needing limbs amputated or risk of going blind etc.

My question is, are these the symptoms of diabetes or of poorly controlled diabetes?

For example, if my bloods were consistently 5.5 and a non diabetics were 5.5 too, would I still be more likely to get the complications because it's automatically just something that can happen to a diabetic regardless (although more likely for poorly controlled) or are the complications only possible if your poorly controlled and for example have a 15 consistent measurement?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetic complications seem to be the result of high blood sugars over a long period. If the levels are the same as a non-diabetic then ...........you are not diabetic.

James_Donnelly

Diabetic complications seem to be the result of high blood sugars over a long period. If the levels are the same as a non-diabetic then ...........you are not diabetic.
Yeah but my levels might be the same but I'm still diabetic. Just well controlled. That is sort of my question. Say I lived the rest of my life under control and was able to keep my bloods always on average below 6/7, would I then avoid the complications because I'm well controlled or could it still happen?

Are these diabetic complications, or they poorly controlled diabetic complications?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah but my levels might be the same but I'm still diabetic. Just well controlled. That is sort of my question. Say I lived the rest of my life under control and was able to keep my bloods always on average below 6/7, would I then avoid the complications because I'm well controlled or could it still happen?

Are these diabetic complications, or they poorly controlled diabetic complications?

Keeping good control reduces your risks of complications. Here's some info:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_Control_and_Complications_Trial

Reactions: Snapsy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your blood sugars are at non diabetic levels then there's no reason why you should be any more susceptible to diabetic complications than the next guy. I would imagine that the sooner you get them under control then the less lasting damage should have been done. I'm guessing that there are relatively few well controlled diabetics out there so there has been little research done on the likelihood of complications in the future. Most people following the Eatwell plate eating starchy carbs with every meal will find that their condition worsens as predicted and will be more likely to suffer the complications than those eating a blood sugar lowering diet. Just my 2 'pennorth...

Reactions: Snapsy

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@James_Donnelly . My take on this is..........
An insulin dependent diabetic who spent there life at 5.5 would have great control through a very good diet, plenty of exercise and an overall healthy approach to living.
A non diabetic could spend there life at 5.5. Diet could be junk food and excessive calories, exercise could be reaching for the remote control and there general health could be very poor.
Control your diabetes and you will be as health if not healthier than most.

Reactions: kokhongw