Complications

Paulie70

Diagnosed pre diabetic with a Hba1c of 48, then a 47 following Covid at Christmas. 43 6 months previous.

Low carb diet to control things. Weight down from 90 to 78, Hba1c back to 43 aleeady

However I must have done some damage as I have toe neuropathy (intermittant pains). Not being officially diabetic it seems the medics aren't too interested in this.

Am I snookered by not having officially been classed as diabetic and therefore off the radar in terms of foot care etc.

Not that I am neglecting these areas myself....

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you'd be very unlucky to be experiencing diabetic neuropathy with those sorts of numbers.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
intermittent pains could be due to a vitamin B deficiency. This can lead to numbness and nerve tingling / pain. B12 and B9 (folate) are quite often lacking if you are not eating meat products. Processed flour products like biscuits, cakes, bread etc have to be fortified with B6 and folate in the UK by law.

Note: B12 is not included in the general B supplements such as brewers yeast or multivitamins. It needs its own special supplement, and also requires vitamin C and folate at the same time.

If you suspect B12 then the GP can order a blood test to check it out. B12 deficiency can also cause a form of anemia so it is worth checking out.

If it really is intemittent then neuropathy is probably not the cause, since that tends to be quite persistent.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed pre diabetic with a Hba1c of 48, then a 47 following Covid at Christmas. 43 6 months previous.

Low carb diet to control things. Weight down from 90 to 78, Hba1c back to 43 aleeady

However I must have done some damage as I have toe neuropathy (intermittant pains). Not being officially diabetic it seems the medics aren't too interested in this.

Am I snookered by not having officially been classed as diabetic and therefore off the radar in terms of foot care etc.

Not that I am neglecting these areas myself....
Well done on getting a grip of your numbers.

It's perfectly possible to have a range of nasty diabetic symptoms long before you reach the "official diagnosis" level (the 48 figure was selected because retinopathy is rare - but it happens - at lower BG levels). Nobody on here can or should attempt to diagnose whatever it is you've got.

Question is, what do you mean by intermittent ? Mine (which is nowhere near as bad as it was) comes and goes and I generally only notice it in the evenings. Whether you've had a formal diagnosis or not, you can (and I would say should) still ask your GP about it.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My previous GPs ignored my symptoms for ages, then I finally got a referral and they found I had non-diabetic peripheral neuropathy caused by (a long-standing?) folate deficiency.
My B12 figures are fine but my folate keeps dropping below the normal range, then I go back on large doses of folic acid for a few months.

Paulie70

Thanks for these responses. mine is only really apparent at night time when there isn't too much else going on. And not every night.

I am a keen meat eater and it isn't vitamin as I have had an extensive range of blood tests earlier in the year without this cropping up. I suspect I may be more sensitive to nerve effects than some others.

I expect a HbA1c of 48 can hide some shorter term spikes which could wreak havoc.

For now I will try further management through lowered weight and low carb, and possibly alpha lipoic acid. As it seems doctors claim these effects to be irreversible then stopping it worsening appears to be the prime option. One I am keen to take.

best wishes.

Paulie70

An update on this. I have been closely following Keto diet, albeit with a few slip ups. Have managed to get the HbA1c from 48 down to 38 (at present) with a diet and exercise based approach only. More recently the neuropathy has got significantly better, - almost to non-existent levels.

To me, this shows a clear and obvious link between food inputs, blood metrics and symptomatic outcomes. It also shows the ability to modify outcomes - at least if attended to early on in the course of this disorder.

It is hugely encouraging to know that control is seemingly possible. Clearly the challenge will be to keep on top of it over the longer term and not to let complacency creep in.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An update on this. I have been closely following Keto diet, albeit with a few slip ups. Have managed to get the HbA1c from 48 down to 38 (at present) with a diet and exercise based approach only. More recently the neuropathy has got significantly better, - almost to non-existent levels.

To me, this shows a clear and obvious link between food inputs, blood metrics and symptomatic outcomes. It also shows the ability to modify outcomes - at least if attended to early on in the course of this disorder.

It is hugely encouraging to know that control is seemingly possible. Clearly the challenge will be to keep on top of it over the longer term and not to let complacency creep in.
Well done.. a no longer member here reported that his neuropathy got worse as his blood sugars became more controlled before it disappeared completely once he got down to "normal" HbA1c levels. Looks like you might have experienced something similar.

Olivv

I would like to add that peripheral neuropathy comes in various degrees.
First early symptoms are usually quite mild but be very careful of any futur slow progress that may eventually lead to a disabling painful neuropathy.
Have regular tests on your glycemia AND your cholesterol (especially triglycerides) : at least once every 3 months. Do some daily physical activity : walking, being on the move.
Check your BMI, if not normal lose weight : you won't regret it.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are nearly my twin, I was 52 at diagnosis & 48 at double check follow up.
Had mild nephropathy in feet but eventually resolved once I got A1c back in non-diabetic levels.
It took time but 3 years later still all clear.
I also had background retinopathy which also cleared up in the same timeframe.

No wonder they picked 48 as the diagnostic cutoff