Concerned I have type 2

anna.louise

Hi, sorry to write this on this forum but I've been reading it for a few days and am so concerned. I'm a 20 year old female who has a BMI of 22 - I'm 5'5 and around 59/60kg. For the past ~3 weeks/month I've been eating really terribly. I cook most of my meals but in the first week I started drinking alcohol again after months off due to lockdown - I'm not usually a big drinker and this was only really for the first week. I've also never smoked. However for the past 3 weeks I've been snacking really really excessively on unhealthy sweet things and have been running 5k 6 times a week but my diet recently has been awful. I eat loads of fruit and veg but unfortunately also big meals and tons of sugary snacks. Recently (maybe past 6 days) I've developed an almost constant tingling in my feet and feel thirsty all the time. I also did a self prick blood test after fasting for 12 hours (it was a compare to the colour chart one) at it looked over 6.1mmol/L, which is obviously high especially after fasting. I'm terrified that I have diabetes because of the binge eating of sweet things and recent symptoms that won't go away which followed it. My family tell me I'm being ridiculous - I'm booked in for a blood test on Monday and I'm just convinced I have it, especially after the self prick blood test. Just looking for advice I suppose as I'm so worried.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not familiar with the self prick test colour chart, most of us here use glucose meters.
A 6.1 fasting blood glucose is not diagnostic of diabtes, perhaps pre-diabetes (5.6-7).
Wait until Monday & get a proper lab FBG & HbA1c done.
Good luck & try not to worry.