Concerned- my Bloods are always at good levels!

Insulin_John

Yes I know- this is surely a good thing?

But after being diagnosed in April 08, my blood sugars are still within the optimum levels (4.5-7.5) and usually have been. Is this still just the "honeymoon period" whilst mt body uses up it's last vestiges of Insulin?

Thanks

jopar

Honeymoon period and the ending of?

Even though it is suggested that when a diabetic first starts insulin that this creates a honeymoon period and then everything will change isn't as straight forward as one might think...

Some diabetics don't experience what could be determind a honeymoon period where others do..

If you have been adjusting you insulin to match your needs then it is possible that as the honey period ended you've actually managed it well and not really noticed it... But with saying that you could still be in the honeymoon period?

Changes in insulin dose might give a glue...

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi John,
Unfortunately the nearest answer I can give you is 'it might be'. Not a great deal of help I know, but although many type-1s experience a honeymoon period, which can last from a few months up to more than a year, not everyone experiences it. It all depends on how fast your diabetes has progressed and this varies from person to person. You were diagnosed 7 months ago so it is quite possible that your own production of insulin will have reduced considerably by now.

A guideline would be to look at whether you have had to increase your injected insulin - if you have then it indicates that your own production is steadily reducing. If you haven't then it could be that you are
a) still honeymooning, or
b) never had a honeymoon period so nothing has changed.

The only real way to test this is to ask your GP to arrange a C-peptide test. C-peptide is produced by the pancreas along with insulin and a measure of the C-peptide will show exactly how much insulin you are still producing. The C-peptide level is in direct proportion to the insulin so high C-p = high insulin production, low C-p = low insulin.