Confession...I don't like coffee

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really dont like coffee but have been trying it with double cream in...
And I still don't like coffee
Tea I only like herbal tea

What else can I drink I could add cream to?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Cocoa? Lidl and Bournville brands are very low carb - make up with water and cream?

Reactions: hankjam and MrsA2

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bovril
Chicken broth
Cocoa, as @Goonergal says.

but you aren’t obliged to add cream to anything, if it doesn’t appeal. :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t add cream to anything I drink - I drink black tea and coffee, herbal teas, water - I don’t really like cream on the whole anyway - always makes me feel sickly and sluggish- you can still get enough fats from butter, good oils, avocado, nuts etc

Reactions: MrsA2

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Raspberries are in season right now and are delish with some full fat cream.
Luckily I am growing lots, and yes they do help the cream go down....if they actually get inside from the garden. Mostly they just fall in my mouth while weeding

Hotpepper20000

Luckily I am growing lots, and yes they do help the cream go down....if they actually get inside from the garden. Mostly they just fall in my mouth while weeding[/QUOTEi]
We too have a raspberry patch. I’ve been known to use both hands to eat them. Lol.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that drinkable without sweetners?

Yes if you’ve developed the taste. Alternatively melt a couple of squares of high percentage cocoa chocolate (the higher the better from a blood sugar point of view) and use that if the full on cocoa is too much. Or as others have said, drink the cream!

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No need to drink coffee or cream, but if you want a cream drink, Rooibos is nice with cream, especially tick tock rooibos.

Reactions: MrsA2

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Could I ask what it is that makes you think cream is important?

It's quite possible to get all the nutrients and goodness from other foods, if you're finding it tough to it address something.

If cream is an absolute must, then clotted cream - just eat it with a spoon.

Home made clotted cream is a thing of exceptional beauty, to the extent my OH requested I don't make it for a while. His trousers were shrinking on him.

Ahem.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just trying to find a satisfying hot drink to tide me over between ever widening meal times

My herbal teas and water keep me hydrated but dont fill me up enough, especially as I'm trying to lengthen the space between meals. I read of others enjoying CWC but it's not really for me

Hotpepper20000

I'm just trying to find a satisfying hot drink to tide me over between ever widening meal times

My herbal teas and water keep me hydrated but dont fill me up enough, especially as I'm trying to lengthen the space between meals. I read of others enjoying CWC but it's not really for me
How about bone broth or clear soup bouillon?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee's not obligatory it's simply one way of using cream!
I also drink cocoa and soup (often in a mug) and will add cream to these. But I don't always have a creamy drink at all and can survive quite nicely all day drinking herb teas and/or water.

Cream doesn't have to be added to drinks, you can use if for sweets/puddings (e.g. strawberries and clotted cream) or to add to sauces, etc, instead. And if you don't like it, just use butter, oils, etc in meal preparation as already suggested, or simply eat more fatty and oil foods (meat & fish, nuts, dairy, etc) instead. All low carb foods are just recommendations and if you don't care for any - leave them out of your diet, as all you need to do is consume enough in the way of various fats/oils to replace the fuel from your reduction in carbs to ensure you are getting enough for your energy needs.

Reactions: AloeSvea

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach
I really don't like coffee but have been trying it with double cream in...
Tea I only like herbal tea What else can I drink I could add cream to?

Cream has less lactose than milk, but it's not the greatest fat, anyway. You could dollop some butter or coconut cream in your coffee and add cinnamon. Instead of coffee, why not try cocoa ? I buy Hershey unsweetened cocoa powder, from Amazon. There's nothing wrong with herbal teas, I drink them too. I do avoid fruit teas, they just taste too sweet for me.

You could add cream to cauliflower mash, for example. Or make a soup and put a big dollop of something like D'Isigny creme fraiche, which is 40% fat. You can also use the melting-chocolate bowl over water method, to make a cheese sauce with any thick cream plus grated cheese and pour it over veggies. Gruyere is excellent for this as some cheese release a lot of ol and salt when they melt. If you're going to melt it, you want a naturally lower salt cheese, really.

If you are into low carb baking, try looking for a scone recipe and plonking clotted cream on it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cream is not compulsory. If you are hungry between meals, eat bigger meals with more fat content, like a dollop of butter on your veg, or some grated cheese to fill you up.