confirmation of diagnosis and carbs help

pen2

I was found to have a raised random glucose 4 weeks ago, all post prandial glucose readings are between 11.9-14 , however my HbA1C was only 35 so despite my spiking post meal readings..which are creeping up each week despite avoiding all carbs it is possible to avoid my GP insists I am not type 2!!?! There is a VERY strong family history with x2 immediate and x10 family members on one side affected, what can I do to get my condition treated I am healthy BMI exercise eat well and dont want to go blind or suffer kidney damage?! Even eating x1 1/2 cup of whole oat porridge with water and fully skimmed milk sent my sugars rocketing to 13.8 after only 45 minutes!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
From the readings you have given you are diabetic and need a diagnosis of Type, 1, 2 or 1.5 or whatever IF those readings are taken 2 hours after the meal. Is you GP refusing to accept you have diabetes at all? I can see that the HBA1C is certainly in the normal range. It's possible you have one of the rarer forms of diabetes such as MODY which is very unpredicatable in behaviour. I can only suggest that you keep a diary of you sugar readings taken 2 hours after a variety of meals and show the GP. Also you might ask for GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) which is more likely to show up spiking.

pen2

Thankyou, for your prompt reply that's what I thought and have actually requested this today, I know I am diabetic clearly and I can't spend the next 3-6 months eating no carbs at all!

elaine77

Hi pen, at a healthy weight etc... U may be diabetic but not type 2. U may be LADA which I am where your beta cells are being killed off slowly meaning u do still have insulin production of ur own. Lots of people with LADA on the forum have mentioned that they kept their basal insulin for a period of time but spiked after meals...this may explain ur normal hba1c as ur lows/normals may be outnumbering ur spikes depending on what u eat....

I would perhaps ask ur GP for a c-peptide and an antibody blood test to be carried out, this would show whether you had a form of autoimmune diabetes (which would suggest type 1/LADA) or whether you were producing high levels of insulin but still getting spikes (which would suggest insulin resistance and therefore type 2).

Hope you get some answers soon :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.