Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Hi Folks,

I've recently just had my eye screening and my annual optician appointment in the last two weeks. However, both seem to be giving conflicting information.

I always gravitate more towards my optician rather than the eye screening clinic as the optician actually gives you the chance to talk to someone rather than just getting a results letter. However, this was my first letter that says there are diabetic changes (no details provided) but when I get all the same pictures and more detailed pictures done at the optician, they say there is no sign of diabetic changes to my eyes. In fact, the optician says you wouldn't really be able to tell I was diabetic by looking at my eyes, everything looks perfectly healthy.

Has anyone else had this? Is there something that the hospital can see that my optician can't?

HBa1c has been stable at about 6.5 the last few years although some changes recently has caused a slight increase in my averages according to my sensor but nothing drastic.

I just find it so frustrating and it obviously makes me nervous.

Thanks in advance!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked about this at the eye screening clinic a few years ago. The eye screening take a much closer look on a much bigger screen and look in far more detail than the opticians

I had an optician scan and a eye screening a few weeks apart last year and my optician one was clear but for the first time my eye screening showed “slight changes no treatment needed”

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Ahh okay, I hadn't really even thought about that element.

I think in my head I was just hoping the hospital would be wrong :rolleyes:

• Hug
Reactions: lovinglife

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
It's common for the Diabetic eye screening to flag up temporary changes as potential signs of Retinopathy.
Many people including myself (while in T2D remission) got a warning of possible signs of Diabetic Retinopathy one year only to get an all-clear the next.

It doesn't seem to be mentioned as much in this Forum as in the 'Blue one'. It's strange how 2 such similar forums often diverge in the nature of questions and discussions.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Hospital screening gear is a lot more detailed than it was 30 years ago.
Which back then involved a “mugshot” of both retinas on a Polaroid instant photograph clipped to a paper form…

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Take a look at this thread as there are some folk (me included) who seem to have reversed their retinopathy..

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you have drops put I your eyes at the optician? If not the pictures taken would not be as good.

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Did you have drops put I your eyes at the optician? If not the pictures taken would not be as good.
It was the same process as the hospital, they don't put drops in my eyes either.

HSSS

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not necessarily. I react to the drops and was told they are not always necessary but they do them routinely to avoid the time spent on recalls for those that really do need them

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife