Type 2 Confused about my post meal reading

Chalva

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all - I am not diabetic (yet), but I’ve posted a previous thread on why I am here.
(diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/please-help-confused-about-my-diagnosis.182536)

So today was my wife’s birthday and I decided to do a pre/post reading before lunch. (Which I usually don’t do. I only check every Saturday my fasting sugar, which has been consistently between 4.9 and 5.2)

It was a chicken and 60gm red lentil pasta (about 25ish gram carbs) with a few pods of broccoli. After the meal I ate a large piece of egg free strawberries, pineapple and almond cream birthday cake. I had a good breakfast with eggs, cheese, avocados and two low carb toasts with butter.

Before the meal, reading was 5.7. Just before two hours it was 8.0 and just 5-6 mins after the 2 hour mark (after my first bite of the lunch) was 7.7. 2.15 hours it was 7.0. But the cake was eaten quite sometime (20/25 mins) after the first bite. So I am not sure, how this stuff works. Not sure how to interpret this. Should I be worried? Please advice.

Well this was my first sugary thing in about 3 months. I am still on moderately low carb (about 100gms).

Thanks

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Those sound like normal, non diabetic numbers to me.

Reactions: Chalva

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Different foods are converted to glucose at different rates.
Those of us who treat our diabetes are aware of fast acting carbs which raise our blood sugars very fast.
Likewise there are slow acting carbs or meals that raise our blood sugars slowly - the fat in a pizza can delay the conversion to sugar and my blood sugar levels can rise 5 or 6 hours after eating.

The advice to test 2 hours after the first bite is because it is when most food should have been converted and the levels start to fall. But this is not true for all food.
This is why some people like to take a reading after one hour and some find s CGM or a Libre a great piece of kit to show when the peak really occurs.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Nothing to worry about here. All Good