Confused about Slim Rice

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all

think I am being super thick but confused about konjac flour slim rice. Lots of people on here use it and I have just ordered a few, only to notice that it says 8.4 grms carbs per 100grms (half a packet). Is that right? I am sure that I read on here that it is zero carbs.
Thanks all.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What brand (there are many)? What are the ingredients? Is it American packaging that counts fibre as carbohydrate?

The Slim Rice on the Holland and Barrat website shows this nutrition list

Nutritional Information
Per 100g
Energy
32kj / 9kcal
Fat 0g
of which saturates 0g
Carbohydrates 0g
of which sugars 0g
Fibre 4g
Protein 0.2g
Salt 0g

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I nearly bought some of this on a shopping trip after seeing them mentioned but luckily checked and was put off by the 8.4 carb on the box. Just checked nutrition on Ocado site and it comes up as 8.4 there too - wonder if it’s the bean gum and/ or tapioca starch that’s used because think Konjac is zero carb so maybe another ingredient like the bean used to prepare the rice. Too high carb for me. Fibre is listed separately so this isn’t part of the carb count.The slim rice must be different to the noodles
Edit says konjac is only 3% of the rice so presume tapioca starch is a biggish ingredient. There must be different versions made with different fillers. Saw one on amazon just that mixed with oat fibre rather than tapioca guess you’ve got the tapioca one that I saw shows we have to double check with these clever marketeers! It’s more of a problem too with age checking out all those pesky small print nutrition boxes!o
https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Eat-Water-Slim-Rice/88615011

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thought Slim Rice was a Country and Western singer.:cool:

Reactions: DJC3

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks all. Just had another look and it is the "extras". The one with tapioca has far more carbs. Got one of those by mistake cos I thought they were all the same. DOH!!! That will teach me to read the packet!!!

The Bare naked one has zero (ish) carbs. Will get that next. Lesson well learned.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
These hold very little calories. So I am wondering how they would effect you in the sense of trying to lose or maintain weight as filler? They are water based so wondering would they have any adverse effect?

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
These hold very little calories. So I am wondering how they would effect you in the sense of trying to lose or maintain weight as filler? They are water based so wondering would they have any adverse effect?

I really miss rice. I have cauli rice etc but not the same. This stuff is much more like rice and is mostly tasteless so is great with curry. I am not trying to lose weight now but I wish I had found this when I was watching the calories. Have not noticed any adverse effects. They definitely fill me up and my husband eats them now and says he is not hungry at all.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Tried the zero noodles in a vegan stir fry with red pepper, green beans, bean sprouts and crispy fried tofu when @Darkhorse came for lunch on Friday - flavoured the whole thing with some ginger, garlic and soy sauce. Didn’t taste any different to rice vermicelli and cooked really well.

I bought some of the rice, noodle and pasta versions in H&B yesterday, so will be attempting those over the coming weeks, they’re currently half price :)