1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Confused about Stevia

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Fraddycat, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Fraddycat

Fraddycat · Well-Known Member

I've found that Splenda makes me spike higher than I would like so I have been looking Stevia up on line. What I don't understand is how 'they' can call it Stevia when its actually Maltodexdrin - see below

Attached Files:

2. Fraddycat

This is the Tesco version but the Candarel version is very similar - I'm so glad I checked I could have been properly caught out !!

• Like Like x 1
  3. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

Stevia itself is so concentrated, they add malto dexrin as a filler. I have a tub of Stevia which is bulked with erithrytol. It's so sweet that i only need a bit on the end of the spoon handle in my cup of coffee.
    If you do an on-line check, you can find what you need before you go out to buy, or buy on-line.
    I'm seriously considering growing my own. I haven't found a source of seeds yet.
    Hana

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fraddycat

I bought Stevia tablets, they are carb free, and will try crushing them with pestel and mortar (or disolving if recipe includes suitable liquid), I'll let you know how it goes.

5. Defren

Defren · Well-Known Member

I was baking a wee while ago and my youngest loves to help. The recipe called for a teaspoon of liquid stevia, she added a tablespoon. I can't remember what we made, but they went in the bin, they were FAR to sweet, so I think if an artificial sweetener is called for in a recipe, the carbs will be low, by virtue of how much you use. So far I have not had a problem with BG using stevia, splenda or xyletol, but we are all very different.

6. Napolyon1

Napolyon1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Glad I read these articles I used candrel in a lot of things.

• Like Like x 1
  7. joss.t2

joss.t2 Type 2 · Active Member

Hi everyone just learning about these sweeteners now. I see these posts are over 5 years old. Has anything changed? I've just bought a granular sweeteners from Tesco with maltodextrose in it. Just wondering wether to throw it away?

8. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I tried once, but my dear husband forgot to water the seedlings. And thus ended my stevia grower career. Will try again, but it's probably too late this summer.
    It looks as if you can buy seeds here - and probably elsewhere :)
    https://www.jespersplanteskole.dk/7760-stevia

9. briped

I didn't notice the post I replied to was 5 years old, but yes. Lots has happened. I'd look for the pure stuff online. Sometimes they even mix it with sugar the make the sugar less calorific, but the range is definitely bigger now than 5 years ago.

10. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

It definitely pays to read the list of ingredients!

Try Amazon for (pure) stevia drops. You can also get safe combinations of erythritol and stevia or erythritol on its own both in powdered form, again via Amazon. Or look for granulated Truvia in some supermarkets (e.g. Morrisons, Tesco) which is again a stevia/erythritol combination.

Robbity

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get pure stevia drops from Amazon lasts for ages as you need so little often add to baking when using erythritol as main sugar replacement- the mix seems to produce the right sweetness just with one or two drops of stevia added to mix

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. RosieLKH

RosieLKH Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I hate the chemical taste of most sweeteners, and would generally rather have unsweetened stuff, but I've never tried Stevia. Does it have that awful chemical taste?

Strangely, I can drink diet lemonade without noticing an aftertaste.

13. briped

Well, if it does have an aftertaste, and it does, I would describe it as slightly liquoricey. Stevia is a plant, and has been used as a natural sweetener for 100s of years, just not in our hemisphere. It wasn't even approved as an edible in the EU till ... Not sure - 4-5 years ago? I remember buying it from Germany, feeling amused when they described it as cosmetics :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. miszu

miszu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My sister grows stevia in a pot at home. She managed to make the leaf into a liquid (I dont know the method), but its not bad. Definitely give it a try. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook