1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Confused about the nutritional value labels?

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by SM1997, May 14, 2019.

1. SM1997

SM1997 · Newbie

So I’m starting a keto diet soon and I’m planning to use coconut flour for most of my recipes but this following thing seriously confuses me. In my local shop, there are three different brands of coconut flour but all of them show different amount of carbs for 100 grams. One says it has 22 grams of carbs for 100, one says it has 16 and the other one says it only has 7. My question is, can I trust the one that says it only has 7 grams of carbs for 100 grams of coconut flour or it has more than that but only says 7 for whatever reason?

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Different brands have different numbers. It is a minefield out there. I have learned to always check the packet on any food no matter how regularly buy it.

3. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Might be worth checking the ingredients list in case any are blended with other ingredients. Is there such a thing as different varieties of coconut that might account for the differences or in the processing of the meat maybe

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

If it has a recipe you may well find its not very conducive to a keto way of eating.
    What are you thinking of using coconut flour for?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook