Confused Already

SteveDuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed yesterday with T2. It was no great surprise as I seemed to have all the symptoms and waiting two weeks! for the blood test result meant I was resigned to the fact.

What has confused me is being told to take 1 Metformin 500mg twice a day for a week and then 3 times a day for week two and then to go back to see the nurse in 3 weeks. I was then given a prescription for 28 tablets which I work out as lasting a week and 5 days. That means if I go back in 3 weeks I won't have been taking any Metformin for over a week.

I have bitten the bullet and ordered a blood sugar meter so I can see where I am at but the interesting thing is that early last year I spent three months living in Spain because my dad was ill and mum had a stroke a couple of years ago and couldn't cope. Mum is T2 and I got in the habit of checking my blood sugar, more nosiness than need, and it was always in the acceptable range. . Now it is sky high, what could have caused the change?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you been given a repeat prescription? It seems years ago now but on day one I had to ask the pharmacist about ordering the repeat stuff and she showed me how to tick the boxes etc. If you have not been given a repeat prescription then you will indeed run out of tablets and will have to let someone know this.

SteveDuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No it wasn't a repeat. I think I'll pop back to see the nurse today.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Although unlikely, it's possible if you are slim and your blood sugar has risen very fast that you may be a late onset T1 (LADA). I can only guess as the BS has 'sky-rocketed'. See how the Metformin goes and what your HBA1c reading is. The meter will help a lot to see whether your BS is very high. Come back here if you need further advice after seeing the nurse

SteveDuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to see her tomorrow so hopefully I'll have some more information. I'm not skinny though, my BMI is a squeak under 30.