Confused and scared

charlottem15

Firstly I apologise in advance for the long post...

I ordered my meter and was surprised to find that it had arrived within less than a day of ordering it!

These are the following readings I had and the food that’s I ate:

24/06 -
Before lunch (12:45) - BS: 5.2 (I had eaten half a banana at 10:30 after my walk).
Lunch was a chicken salad, 100g of yoghurt (not full fat) and an apple. 2 hours after lunch BS: 5.7

Had a few nuts at around 16:00

Before dinner (17:15) - BG: 4.8
Dinner was green beans, carrots, spinach, new potatoes and half a crustless vegetable quiche. 2 hours after dinner BG: 6.5.

After measuring my BG after dinner I was a bit concerned with the rise but tried to carry on as I normally would eat. So after measuring my 2 hours after dinner BG I had a cup of tea, solero ice cream, a Kit Kat bar and 1 digestive biscuit. Measured my BG 2 hours later before bed: 6.1.

25/06
Fasting BG (06:15): 5.1
Before breakfast BG (07:05): 4.9
Breakfast was 3 x oatabix, with semi skimmed milk and a small amount of sugar. 2 hours after breakfast BG (09:10): 6.7. (Out of curiosity I also tested at 1 hour after breakfast and it was 6.4).
Then went for a 4km walk
Before lunch BG (12:25): 4.9
Lunch was tiger bread with pate, small amount of feta, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, 100g yoghurt and a banana (I don’t normally eat bread but wanted to see the effects). 2 hours after lunch BG: 5.2 (was surprised so retested and got 5.6?? - not sure if you can retest so soon?)
Before dinner BG (17:25): 5.3

I’m slightly worried about the levels as the jumps and my FBG seem be very close to higher than what is regarded as “normal” even though they are in the normal range. I also appreciate I haven’t given specific carb amounts but obviously each meal is relatively high carb. Am I slightly insulin resistant? I’m thinking maybe I need to reduce my carb intake anyway?

Thank you for reading if you got this far :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly I apologise in advance for the long post...

I ordered my meter and was surprised to find that it had arrived within less than a day of ordering it!

These are the following readings I had and the food that’s I ate:

24/06 -
Before lunch (12:45) - BS: 5.2 (I had eaten half a banana at 10:30 after my walk).
Lunch was a chicken salad, 100g of yoghurt (not full fat) and an apple. 2 hours after lunch BS: 5.7

Had a few nuts at around 16:00

Before dinner (17:15) - BG: 4.8
Dinner was green beans, carrots, spinach, new potatoes and half a crustless vegetable quiche. 2 hours after dinner BG: 6.5.

After measuring my BG after dinner I was a bit concerned with the rise but tried to carry on as I normally would eat. So after measuring my 2 hours after dinner BG I had a cup of tea, solero ice cream, a Kit Kat bar and 1 digestive biscuit. Measured my BG 2 hours later before bed: 6.1.

25/06
Fasting BG (06:15): 5.1
Before breakfast BG (07:05): 4.9
Breakfast was 3 x oatabix, with semi skimmed milk and a small amount of sugar. 2 hours after breakfast BG (09:10): 6.7. (Out of curiosity I also tested at 1 hour after breakfast and it was 6.4).
Then went for a 4km walk
Before lunch BG (12:25): 4.9
Lunch was tiger bread with pate, small amount of feta, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, 100g yoghurt and a banana (I don’t normally eat bread but wanted to see the effects). 2 hours after lunch BG: 5.2 (was surprised so retested and got 5.6?? - not sure if you can retest so soon?)
Before dinner BG (17:25): 5.3

I’m slightly worried about the levels as the jumps and my FBG seem be very close to higher than what is regarded as “normal” even though they are in the normal range. I also appreciate I haven’t given specific carb amounts but obviously each meal is relatively high carb. Am I slightly insulin resistant? I’m thinking maybe I need to reduce my carb intake anyway?

Thank you for reading if you got this far :)
That is not a "somewhat carb heavy diet", that's massive amounts of carbs at just about every meal, and even a wee bit of one of your noms would send me into 20.0 mmol/l's and then some. So... That's pretty conclusive that your blood sugars and your insulin sensitivity are spot-on perfection. They cannot be more beautiful than this, and you did a great job at making an actually informative curve. (A lot of people mess it up and the numbers end up meaning nothing.). Not just saying that to ease your mind. Perfection. Really. So I'm quite happy for you. :) Congratulations!

Hugs,
Jo

Reactions: urbanracer

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After measuring my BG after dinner I was a bit concerned
This is within the comfort zone of a +2 rise e.g. 4.8 rising to 6.5 (with 6.8 being the cut off). Since being diagnosed T2 and going low carb I've never had a reading below 5.5 I don't think! So pretty comfortable with your numbers :) I daren't think what the kit-kat, biscuit and solero combination would have done to me! All that said your instincts are correct, "spikes" are as important as base rates and should be treated with respect. From where I'm standing I'd say you look peachy keen BUT it doesn't hurt to be sceptical about current carb recommendations. My recommendation for you (I'm no expert, no genius and no guru) would be: I like that you take your health seriously and do so in a considered manner, you know best (really you do), continue with the BG experiment until you understand what it's saying and what it means to you, do not trust the "experts" (i did and i regret it). You are the expert on you (no pressure :))

charlottem15

That is not a "somewhat carb heavy diet", that's massive amounts of carbs at just about every meal, and even a wee bit of one of your noms would send me into 20.0 mmol/l's and then some. So... That's pretty conclusive that your blood sugars and your insulin sensitivity are spot-on perfection. They cannot be more beautiful than this, and you did a great job at making an actually informative curve. (A lot of people mess it up and the numbers end up meaning nothing.). Not just saying that to ease your mind. Perfection. Really. So I'm quite happy for you. :) Congratulations!

Hugs,
Jo

Hi Jo,

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

I could almost cry at what you’ve said as I’ve been worried about the larger jumpers. I did try to put as much info into my testing as I could I think this has given me a real insight into the effects that carbs have and I’m going to try to reduce my carb intake somewhat anyway.

Once again, thank you to you and everyone on here you’ve all been great.

Charlotte

Reactions: urbanracer

charlottem15

This is within the comfort zone of a +2 rise e.g. 4.8 rising to 6.5 (with 6.8 being the cut off). Since being diagnosed T2 and going low carb I've never had a reading below 5.5 I don't think! So pretty comfortable with your numbers :) I daren't think what the kit-kat, biscuit and solero combination would have done to me! All that said your instincts are correct, "spikes" are as important as base rates and should be treated with respect. From where I'm standing I'd say you look peachy keen BUT it doesn't hurt to be sceptical about current carb recommendations. My recommendation for you (I'm no expert, no genius and no guru) would be: I like that you take your health seriously and do so in a considered manner, you know best (really you do), continue with the BG experiment until you understand what it's saying and what it means to you, do not trust the "experts" (i did and i regret it). You are the expert on you (no pressure :))

Thank you for your reply! I think I’m going to try lower carbs and see what happens to my levels then but as an anxious person try not to obsess over it as it probably won’t help matters I’d rather do something now though than wait and it potentially get worse! I do appreciate your input though and the help that everyone has given

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply! I think I’m going to try lower carbs and see what happens to my levels then but as an anxious person try not to obsess over it as it probably won’t help matters I’d rather do something now though than wait and it potentially get worse! I do appreciate your input though and the help that everyone has given
you got this :) would be lovely if in a little while you could come back and share.because the individual personal perspectives have so much power.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo,

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

I could almost cry at what you’ve said as I’ve been worried about the larger jumpers. I did try to put as much info into my testing as I could I think this has given me a real insight into the effects that carbs have and I’m going to try to reduce my carb intake somewhat anyway.

Once again, thank you to you and everyone on here you’ve all been great.

Charlotte
I'm with @copilost ; do chime in again. Going low carb won't hurt you, and it could well be your body'll be grateful for it. :cat:

Be good to you eh, and know you've dealt with this in an excellent way.
Jo