confused and slightly confused

winglets

I'm 34, male, 6ft2, healthy weight, never smoked, rarely drink etc. and no known conditions although I am taking mirtazipine for the last 2 months. I have a close direct relative, father, who has diabetes type 2 (diagnosed in mid 50s).

I haven't tested my blood sugar level in years so I found an old bayern one that my father had.
I did this 2 hours after I had some breakfast which was 3 weetabixes, small portion of quite sweet oats/nuts with about 100ml of semi skimmed milk - roughly this equates to alot of carbs I now realise.

Now my reading was 7.0 mmol (126mg/dl)
In terms of what I ate (and I had nothing else bar water), would you say that is a healthy level for someone without diabetes?
I'm not so sure. I have some people telling me that's a little high and others have said a 7 is good because of the high carb breakfast I had. If I was diabetic then my score would have been a lot higher?

I see the maximum for a non-diabetic, 2 hours after meal/snack should be 140 (7.9) but surely does this not depend on what you actually eat??

Logically then, does this mean that my fasting level will almost certainly be below 7?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I'm 34, male, 6ft2, healthy weight, never smoked, rarely drink etc. and no known conditions although I am taking mirtazipine for the last 2 months. I have a close direct relative, father, who has diabetes type 2 (diagnosed in mid 50s).

I haven't tested my blood sugar level in years so I found an old bayern one that my father had.
I did this 2 hours after I had some breakfast which was 3 weetabixes, small portion of quite sweet oats/nuts with about 100ml of semi skimmed milk - roughly this equates to alot of carbs I now realise.

Now my reading was 7.0 mmol (126mg/dl)
In terms of what I ate (and I had nothing else bar water), would you say that is a healthy level for someone without diabetes?
I'm not so sure. I have some people telling me that's a little high and others have said a 7 is good because of the high carb breakfast I had. If I was diabetic then my score would have been a lot higher?

I see the maximum for a non-diabetic, 2 hours after meal/snack should be 140 (7.9) but surely does this not depend on what you actually eat??

Logically then, does this mean that my fasting level will almost certainly be below 7?

Hi @winglets

I wouldn't consider that to be an indicator of diabetes..

This page shows idealised blood glucose levels, take a look and come back if you have more questions.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Reactions: Prem51

winglets

Hi @winglets

I wouldn't consider that to be an indicator of diabetes..

This page shows idealised blood glucose levels, take a look and come back if you have more questions.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Thanks, yes I see that my reading of 7.0 was within the "normal" range 2 hours after a meal. I did read elsewhere on this site that some diabetics have just tried one weetabix and they've seen their bs skyrocket as a result. So surely it all depends on what you actually eat. The high carb breakfast I had isn't probably the wisest choice but like someone else said, my body handled it as opposed to a non-diabetic.
What does it mean exactly, when we say tolerance level in this context? What practically does it mean when say unlike a diabetic, a non-diabetic can handle the rise in blood sugar after a high carb meal e.g.?

What happens when diabetics have had too much sugar and their bodies can't handle the increase?
What's been your experiences??

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @winglets welcome to the forum.

How old was the meter and strips you used? Did you check to see if the test strip was in date? I don't think it is helpful to take one reading and try and read too much into it.

If you have concerns about your health. please see a doctor for blood tests. This is the best way to clarify if you have diabetes.

If you take in more than your body and any medication you take can tolerate, this leads to symptoms and if this goes on for too long it can sometimes lead to additional illness often called complications. There is a lot of good information on the main website which explains the different type of diabetes and associated issues.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, yes I see that my reading of 7.0 was within the "normal" range 2 hours after a meal. I did read elsewhere on this site that some diabetics have just tried one weetabix and they've seen their bs skyrocket as a result. So surely it all depends on what you actually eat. The high carb breakfast I had isn't probably the wisest choice but like someone else said, my body handled it as opposed to a non-diabetic.
What does it mean exactly, when we say tolerance level in this context? What practically does it mean when say unlike a diabetic, a non-diabetic can handle the rise in blood sugar after a high carb meal e.g.?

What happens when diabetics have had too much sugar and their bodies can't handle the increase?
What's been your experiences??

Hi @winglets ,

Welcome to the forum.

I apreciate you're a 34 year old guy. & it's getting a little late for me to write an essay.. :)
Your post meal 7.0 seems normal to me. However, if you have concerns? Your GP or HCP is the best course of action for a check up.

This video below should explain what's happening with the whole Blood sugar thing..
(Sorry if it takes you back to science in a darkened room at school!)

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you had any problem with carbs your reading would have been much higher after so many carbs early in the day - when for most type twos their insulin resistance is far higher than later in the day.
The last time I ate weetabix was 32 years ago when that was all that was available for breakfast in the maternity hospital, though it has been on the diet sheets I've been given over the years. I had 1/2 of one - as I though it was pretty much like eating sawdust.
My breakfast today was beef sausages - far preferable for a diabetic.

D

Deleted member 308541

Were the strips for the Bayern from the same period of time? You can get inaccurate readings of either a high or low bgl using old out of date strips.