Confused by a 'reversing diabetes' site

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I thought I had gotten the hang of eating correctly (after so much trial and error) and my BG results are mainly in the 6's, but then I took a look on a site all about reversing diabetes, and almost everything I said I was now eating is 'apparently' wrong!
According to them I shouldn't be eating raspberries, or indeed any berries unless I've been out of diabetic range for a good while, and neither should I be having cream, which I love.
I should be eating FAR more fat and the amounts are something like 80 per cent!
Is this correct and am I completely wrong, even though I seem to be doing well?

Reactions: Freema

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're doing great, as your results show. If you are enjoying berries and cream .. as I do.. carry on.
I've not seen the site you mention but it sounds a bit hard core !
This is a marathon and not a sprint and we need to have a "diet" .. for me a lifestyle ...that we enjoy so we can easily maintain it :)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are doing things right, if your BG is coming down and you feel fine.

I do very low carb most of the time so 80E% fat is fine for me. I couldn't eat raspberries daily as they are too high in sugar for me. On the other hand I prefer my BG to be lower than yours. My FBG is usually below 5.5 and often below 5 and I try not to go above 7, apart from on Sundays when I can have treats like raspberries. This works for me.

Oh, the 80 % fat is by energy, not weight. My macros are 5 E % carbs, 15 E % protein and 80 E % fat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If what you are doing is working for you, then why worry? If your numbers are trending downwards why change things? Your eating plan has to be sustainable for the rest of your life, not just for 3 months or whatever.

Which site have you been reading?

I eat cream every day - in my breakfast coffee and once or twice a week with raspberries. (only 6 or 7 berries). I also prefer my levels to be lower than yours. My FBG averages at about 5.6 and I try never to go above 7 post meal, although I do slip up sometimes, especially on Sundays! I get most of my energy from fat as I eat very low carb. I don't know my percentages these days as I stopped counting. I just use my meter and scales and eat to what they tell me.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Your meter is your friend! I think you're doing fine, although the fact that you are still researching sites suggests you perhaps want to do even better. And that's also fine. I go by the "if its got -berry in its name, then its ok" rule, and have lots of cream. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Winnie53 and Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your meter is your friend! I think you're doing fine, although the fact that you are still researching sites suggests you perhaps want to do even better. And that's also fine. I go by the "if its got -berry in its name, then its ok" rule, and have lots of cream. Keep up the good work.
I just mentioned this to a friend who replied "Oh good, you can have raspberry beer".
:);)
I think not!