Confused By Hba1c Results

arw1985

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I’m February I had a serious of tests and I was informed that my hbA1c was borderline. I was given the result by an admin person and at he time didn’t pursue any medical advice (which I accept was an error). I also didn’t ask for the actual value as at that time
I had never heard of the test. I was told to come back in 6 months for a re-test.

I did my own reading on what it meant and I did take it very seriously. I pretty much cut out all sugary foods, cut down on starchy foods too and made more of an effort to exercise. I thought it was working and since February I have lost 11kg (from 108 down to 97kg). I am 33 and my BMI is just over 26 so I am still technically overweight.

I am leaving the UK for an overseas job in less than a month so last week I requested having the re-test slightly early (4 months rather than 6 after the initial one). Yesterday I got the result that it was still borderline. I asked for the actual value, and it has apparently gone up from 6.0 in Feb to 6.1 last week. They want me to go back in 6-8 weeks but by that time I will have left the country so need to get it done overseas.

I feel a bit disappointed, not to mention surprised that the lifestyle changes I have made seem to have made it worse. The only thing I can think of is that I find my job stressful and I have an infant daughter who doesn’t sleep very well. Maybe these factors are contributing to high blood sugar more than diet and exercise?

I wondered if anyone had had similar experiences and had any insights? I have to wait 2 weeks to speak to my doctor about it.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no significant difference between the 6 and 6.1. They are both at the bottom end of the pre-diabetic range, which is 6 to 6.5. Higher than that and you are in the diabetic range.

What I suggest you do before you leave is to buy a glucose meter and plenty of testing strips. That way you can keep an eye on your own levels. You can test first thing in the morning as soon as you get out of bed, and also immediately before a meal and 2 hours after first bite. This will tell you what that meal did to your levels. If their is a rise of more than 2mmol/l there were too many carbs in that meal. Any rise should be ideally a lot less than 2mmol/l .

Which country are you going to?

Well done on that weight loss by the way.

arw1985

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. That seems like really good advice.

I am moving to Indonesia. This has cast a bit of a dark cloud over things at an otherwise exciting and optimistic time but I am trying not to overreact and to take it in the best way - as an alarm call. My eating habitats prior to the first test certainly werent great and my blood sugar has probably been high for years.

Hopefully with an even stricter regime and monitoring as you suggest I can get it down.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The starting value before testing should also ideally be under 6ish

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. That seems like really good advice.

I am moving to Indonesia. This has cast a bit of a dark cloud over things at an otherwise exciting and optimistic time but I am trying not to overreact and to take it in the best way - as an alarm call. My eating habitats prior to the first test certainly werent great and my blood sugar has probably been high for years.

Hopefully with an even stricter regime and monitoring as you suggest I can get it down.

Thanks again.

Sounds very exciting. I wish you well. :)

Norman Stanley

It would probably be of value to start using a carbohydrate monitoring app. There a number of very good free ones of Android or IOS. There is often a large number of carbs in 'healthy' foods, even those sold as being suited to diabetics. Keep track of those carbs, and your resultant blood glucose levels for a few days and then start to adjust your intake as needed, paring back on the total carbs and the particular foods that cause significant rises in blood sugar.

What I have done is try to develop a set of meal recipes that I know have limited or no effects effects on my blood sugar. This simplifies my meals and helps me keep on track. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in early May and since then I have lost 8 kg with no exercise (which is difficult due to other conditions) and my post meal glucose levels have dropped from 24 mmol/l the first day to an average of 5.8 for the last week.

Keep at it, look at the situation as a problem you can tackle and hopefully you can stop your condition worsening. Oh, and I hope you have fun in your life in Indonesia.

arw1985

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much for the suggestions, I will take them all on board.