1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Confused by insulin on board

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by steveo4, Sep 2, 2020.

1. steveo4

steveo4 · Well-Known Member

If you have got insulin on board on your pump would you still take a correction. Eg blood was 14.2 so was giving myself a correction of 3 units which should have taken it down to 5.2 but my pump handset indicated I had 1 unit on board so only gave myself a correction of 2 units because I didn't want to go low. However I was told by my dsn that I should have taken the full correction dose of 3 units. I'm confused can anyone help.

2. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

How was your blood after the 2 units? Were you still high?
    My pump adjusts corrections if I have active insulin, do you have to manually adjust on yours?

3. steveo4

Yes it was 10.2 so maybe I should have taken the full amount but was just worried about going low.

4. sleepster

Hmm but in theory 2 units should have taken you down to 8.2, so on this occasion whether you had the 2 units or the 3 units isn't really relevant as the insulin you had didn't do what was expected. Do you have insulin resistance when you're high?

5. steveo4

Not usually no

6. sleepster

If I were correcting and I was in your situation (14.2, correction of 3 vs correction of 2 etc) I'd go for 2 units but I am insulin resistant when I'm high so I'd probably need an extra correction so would check my blood after the correction of 2 units. My pump would adjust the correction for the active insulin I had.
    Your correction hasn't done what it was meant to so I'd try and work out why that was, if you're not insulin resistant when you're high was it that you were still digesting a meal or illness or one of the other 6027 things that can affect BG levels ;)
    Sometimes active insulin and corrections are straight forward to work out but sometimes it's trial and error.

7. MarkMunday

MarkMunday Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find the required correction dose increases exponentially as blood glucose rises above about 8. High blood glucose seems to cause increased insulin resistance. That 3 units of insulin was not enough to correct a 14 doesn't surprise me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Was this "insulin on board" a bolus for a meal? How long was it actually on board? How long prior did you dose for the meal?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steveo4

Yes it was a bolus for a meal. I took it just before I had the meal. It was on board for 2 hours.

10. gto19660

gto19660 · Member

I'm new with the insulin pump but from what I understand and I'm no doctor that insulin on board means that the insulin you took from your last bolus is still active however it's there he keeps you from stacking so if you have a t Slim there are tutorial videos on YouTube but your best answer comes from your support team mainly your trainer so I would call them first to get a better understanding

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook