Confused newbie question.

Nefadiva_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello all.

I became suddenly ill, flu like symptoms without the actual flu, and had a whole heap of bloods done.

Received the call to do fasting glucose as my random was 9.9. Fasting came back 7.6 with hba1c 6.6.

I developed horrendous abdominal pain and the GP put me on antibiotics for a liver infection (as my bloods showed massive markers but these were ignored in favour of jumping on the blood sugars) and told me to ignore the BG results due to the infection.

Well I ignored him and got a monitor as I was feeling so ill.

I have been monitoring regularly and it goes between 6.2 and 8.1. I was already on a low carb/no sugar diet due to other medical issues and have not changed from that.

My problem is that I have been very symptomatic over the last few days and today has been horrendous, nausea, headache, barely staying awake, confusion at points. My readings have been between 6.2 and 7.8. Should I be feeling this symptomatic on those readings? Do I need to get back to the GP and push for meds?

Any advice would be great appreciated thank you.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'd go back to your GP.

Yes, so would I!

What you are experiencing probably isn't related to your blood sugars as those levels are reasonably okay - but I'm not a doctor and it really does sound like you need professional medical advice.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Nefadiva_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you for your advice. I am so confused by what's happening , I wasn't sure if it was normal diabetic feeling or something more sinister so I will go back to the GP.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thank you for your advice. I am so confused by what's happening , I wasn't sure if it was normal diabetic feeling or something more sinister so I will go back to the GP.

I think I'd avoid driving or riding a bike until you aren't so symptomatic :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. You need to go back to the doctor. With those sort of levels it is highly unlikely to be diabetes related. You have a nasty infection - and that could be the reason. Or maybe a reaction to the antibiotics. Whatever, you need to see the doctor,

Reactions: Nefadiva_

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree it's unlikely to be due to those blood sugar levels which are actually very good. Time to see the GP to find out what the problem is.