Confused (no change there!)

missust4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I need to ask a really daft question. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago. Told that pre-diabetes level is between 44-48, my reading was 49 so that was it. I'm not on any medication just diet controlled (in theory) and all my yearly blood results have been around 42-43. Am I diabetic or not lol. Nurse said yes, one doc said it could have been a blip, another said no but you probably will be!! Is it any wonder I'm confused. Thanks

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi, I need to ask a really daft question. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago. Told that pre-diabetes level is between 44-48, my reading was 49 so that was it. I'm not on any medication just diet controlled (in theory) and all my yearly blood results have been around 42-43. Am I diabetic or not lol. Nurse said yes, one doc said it could have been a blip, another said no but you probably will be!! Is it any wonder I'm confused. Thanks
Don't take chances. If there is room for doubt then there is a possibility of early stage diabetes. Keep close watch on your BGL's and note any unusual symptoms (thirst, weight loss, blurred vision, frequent urination, drowsyness or general fatigue). Above all, seek medical advice!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Non-diabetic is 41 and under
Pre-diabetes is 42 to 47.
Diabetes is 48 and above
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html (halfway down the page)

So you were diabetic on diagnosis and have managed to control this. Your levels are now in the pre-diabetic range, which puts you at risk. There is great debate about whether diabetes can be reversed. Many feel it can only be controlled. At the moment, you are still a diabetic but have good control.

Reactions: Ian_Laye

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome here missust4 :)

we all have hoped it was a wrong diagnosis... but usually it is for real.... if not our body would by itself have leveled blood glucose down to a normal level even on a non-restricted eating style...

where this regulation stops working , where our body (in type 2 ) do produce far too much insuline but our cells will no longer accept insuline in a healthy way , and thereby our body can not regulate blood glucose down.

most type 2 can get their levels down in a normal range if they control their diet and if they have gotten their diagnosis early in the otherwise progressing disease... this progression seems to stop when we go low carb , or and very low calories...

so well done with your diet... I think you can get your numbers even lower by going lower in carbs than you do now like under 80-100 grams a day or even lower, but maybe you already do that..

Many people in this forum have gotten their levels down in normal range...by doing Low Carb High Fat

My own HbA1c is around 38 and I am still diabetic do take metformin tough , otherwise my numbers would be like yours or higher I think

Last edited:

missust4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome here missust4 :)

we all have hoped it was a wrong diagnosis... but usually it is for real.... if not our body would by itself have leveled blood glucose down to a normal level even on a non-restricted eating style...

where this regulation stops working , where our body (in type 2 ) do produce far too much insuline but our cells will no longer accept insuline in a healthy way , and thereby our body can not regulate blood glucose down.

most type 2 can get their levels down in a normal range if they control their diet and if they have gotten their diagnosis early in the otherwise progressing disease... this progression seems to stop when we go low carb , or and very low calories...

so well done with your diet... I think you cab get your numbers even lower by going lower in carbs than you do now like under 80-100 grams a day or even lower, but maybe you already do that..

Many people in this forum have gotten their levels down in normal range...bu doing Low Carb High Fat

My own HbA1c is around 38 and I am still diabetic do take metformin tough , otherwise my numbers would be like yours or higher I think

Thanks for your reply. Will take it all on board. Still struggling with the dieting thingy but such is life.

missust4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Non-diabetic is 41 and under
Pre-diabetes is 42 to 47.
Diabetes is 48 and above
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html (halfway down the page)

So you were diabetic on diagnosis and have managed to control this. Your levels are now in the pre-diabetic range, which puts you at risk. There is great debate about whether diabetes can be reversed. Many feel it can only be controlled. At the moment, you are still a diabetic but have good control.

Thanks for replying.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

missust4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't take chances. If there is room for doubt then there is a possibility of early stage diabetes. Keep close watch on your BGL's and note any unusual symptoms (thirst, weight loss, blurred vision, frequent urination, drowsyness or general fatigue). Above all, seek medical advice!

Thanks for your advice.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply. Will take it all on board. Still struggling with the dieting thingy but such is life.

yes it is a tough ride we have to take... but you can get lots of ideas in here also for alternate kinds of treats and more inspirering kinds of low carb foods... this is a great community this forum...