Type 1 Confused or what!!!!

Njieberridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to eat Walkers Crisps, and Biscuits, grumpy people
Hi there, confused or what!!!!. Before breakfast my BS was 7.8, had 2 boiled eggs 2 rashers of grilled bacon, took 2 units of Novarapid, just to bring my BS down slightly, can't believe, when I tested before lunch, it was 11.4, what did I do that was wrong, I though protein was a good breakfast, any answers would be a great help

jodysd6

You probably did nothing wrong but a couple of things could be going on here. 1 is that if you have no carbs protein can also be converted to glucose and can raise your blood sugar, and 2 you may have some element of dawn phenomenon where glucose levels can rise during the morning as your body releases hormones to get you 'up and going'. I have a pump and I require a higher basal rate in the morning because of this and i still need to tweak it a bit more as if I don't eat breakfast until late my BG can rise from waking up until I eat, I'm lucky that I can just increase my basal in the mornings but if on mdi this can be a bit more tricky to manage. I'm sure some others on mdi may have some tricks for this.

Njieberridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to eat Walkers Crisps, and Biscuits, grumpy people
You probably did nothing wrong but a couple of things could be going on here. 1 is that if you have no carbs protein can also be converted to glucose and can raise your blood sugar, and 2 you may have some element of dawn phenomenon where glucose levels can rise during the morning as your body releases hormones to get you 'up and going'. I have a pump and I require a higher basal rate in the morning because of this and i still need to tweak it a bit more as if I don't eat breakfast until late my BG can rise from waking up until I eat, I'm lucky that I can just increase my basal in the mornings but if on mdi this can be a bit more tricky to manage. I'm sure some others on mdi may have some tricks for this.
Thanks for the advice,but still a bit confused, will eat the same breakfast tomorrow , see if the same thing happens:)