Confused-toddler poss diabetic???

Bexet

Hi! I'm confused and looking for a little advice please...
Took Dd (2 and a half) to tge docs on Fri as she's been alot more tired recently, drinking a bit more, soaking tthough nappies at night, looking skinny and hubby had noticed acetone smelling breath a few times. My father is diabetic.
Doc did a finger pick and it came up ax 8.8. (Explained to doc that she had had am ice cream about an hour before hand) he said although diabetic levels would be over 10 he was concerned at this level and has referred her for some bloods.
I'm a bit confused- is 8.8 too high then? If someone is not diabetic until it reaches 10, what does 8.8 mean?

Obv we are going to hosp for bloods on Monday but if anyone experienced can shed a little light I'd really appreciate

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
8.8 is a touch high, but bearing in mind she'd just had an ice cream it really isn't. The level of a random blood sugar test (like your daughter had) to raise concerns of diabetes is 11.1.

An undiagnosed type 1 diabetic with symptoms of excessive urination, thirst, tiredness and weight loss is highly unlikely to test with a blood sugar level as low as 8.8 an hour after eating an ice cream. Extraordinarily unlikely.

She's likely to be having a hba1c test when bloods are taken. This is a test which measures how much glucose is stuck to red blood cells and will show average blood sugar over the previous 3 months.

I suspect the blood tests have been ordered because they are being thorough and cautious, because there was a slightly high random blood glucose and because you are reporting pretty classic diabetic symptoms.

Reactions: Bexet

Bexet

Thankyou so much for your reply it has helped shed some light I personally thought that it would of been due to the icecream

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi! I'm confused and looking for a little advice please...
Took Dd (2 and a half) to tge docs on Fri as she's been alot more tired recently, drinking a bit more, soaking tthough nappies at night, looking skinny and hubby had noticed acetone smelling breath a few times. My father is diabetic.
Doc did a finger pick and it came up ax 8.8. (Explained to doc that she had had am ice cream about an hour before hand) he said although diabetic levels would be over 10 he was concerned at this level and has referred her for some bloods.
I'm a bit confused- is 8.8 too high then? If someone is not diabetic until it reaches 10, what does 8.8 mean?

Obv we are going to hosp for bloods on Monday but if anyone experienced can shed a little light I'd really appreciate

Hi. Everything @catapillar says above makes total sense. As she says, a random test result of over 11mmols would be required to be indicative of diabetes..but one result says very little (and 8.8mmols tells us next to nothing on its own). I would only add that as a Type 2, I test myself before and after my main meal pretty much every day. If I test inside 2 hours after eating I will see a spike depending on what I eat...but it is only after two hours, maybe two and half that I will see the real impact of what I have eaten because that is when it is fairly normal for blood sugar levels to have come back down a bit..closer to the pre-meal level. I will know I have eaten too many carbohydrates or sugar if there is a bigger gap (eg. 5mmols before and 7mmols about 2 hours after is ok but if it was up at say 8mmols two or three hours later that would be something for me to address...particularly if this was more than a one off). So an ice cream an hour before your wee daughter was tested would push things up a bit...but would probably be back down again an hour later. 8.8 two hours after eating would be more of a concern. That said, one reading on its own doesn't really tell us much at all. Hopefully the blood test (probably an HbA1c test..which doesn't just test the blood at a given moment but gives the average level over the preceding three months) will show that she is not diabetic. Normal levels are between 4mmols and 7mmols but some non-diabetics can get readings above that particularly an hours or so after eating...maybe an ice cream. Hopefully, something else..something very minor...is behind her thirst and lack of energy.

Bexet

I tried 2 hospitals, the earliest tests I could book are for next Tuesday! !! I'm keeping a close eye on her and her symptoms, She's well. I had my dad test her bg yest and it was 6.8 2 hours after lunch so I'm reassured by that. Thankyou for asking :)

Reactions: pleinster

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I tried 2 hospitals, the earliest tests I could book are for next Tuesday! !! I'm keeping a close eye on her and her symptoms, She's well. I had my dad test her bg yest and it was 6.8 2 hours after lunch so I'm reassured by that. Thankyou for asking :)

That's better....keep us posted please.